SDIO

Group, I am really really new to the world of SD / SDIO cards, and I've briefly read a bit of the specs. I understand SD tech is for storage, and SDIO is for I/O (GPS, BT, etc). Where I am lost is how these SDIO cards display any data to the user? Do SDIO hosts have drivers for these 'specific' classes of SDIO card.

So here is the question : Could one build a CUSTOM SDIO card, (not GPS not BT..), with a processor on it of course, that would it be able to utilize the display of any SDIO compliant host?

Any documenation and examples appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Ivanna Pee

Thank of it as proprietary USB.

Yes, it can be done. But why bother? You have to pay for the SD interface license. You can do what you need with USB.

Reply to
linnix

Because for a handheld device, SDIO may be either the only available interface available, or the best mechanical solution. e.g. you would usually want a barcode reader stuck on the top of a PDA, not on the end of a lead that plugs into the bottom.

Or use an off-the-shelf SDIO interface chip -

do some.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

available, or the

on the top of a PDA,

Thanks man. Just to be clear, correct me if I am wrong, if I got one of these,

I could connect my custom hardware to the RS-232 Interface and utilize the host display by running Hyperterminal or something. For a further step, I could write a custom application for the host that talks to my embedded system over "RS-232". Yes I understand that the Arasan chip converts RS-232 SDBus

Reply to
Ivanna Pee

interface available, or the

on the top of a PDA,

Exactly.

ISTR the Arasan devkit is quite expensive.

An alternative prototyping platform is Pretec's SDIO modem.

This uses the Arasan SDIO chip - The modem part simply unplugs from the SDIO card, with the UART connections on the edge connector, so you can hook your hardware on to it. The only thing is that it may appear to the OS as a modem not a COM port but that is probably a relatively minor issue.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

interface available, or the

stuck on the top of a PDA,