what is meant by Data path and instuction depth

Hi everybody, I am new folk to embedded world.Please tell me what is meant by datapath and instruction depth.Is there any relation between them?

Reply to
hema sankar

Out of context they could mean anything. Datapath probably has something to do with the actual wires and buses over which data is traveling.

I suggest you concentrate on more fundamental aspects for now.

More details at:
Also see
Reply to
CBFalconer

Can relate to Harvard architecture in CPU.

Eg ARM9 has a Harvard Architecture in which the data path is separate to the instruction path.

ARM7 is in a Von-Neumann architecture in which the data and the instruction share the same path (at difference addresses in the CPU)

Search the net with key words Harvard, ARM9 etc... I am sure you will come up with more details.

JG

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Most likly you are looking at terms related to debugging. Datapath is the path of code being followed, the branches etc. Instruction depth is usually referring to trace memory. Both terms are usually associated with incircuit emulators.

Reply to
DAC

I encounterd this terms datapath and instruction depth in xilinx FPGA vs microprocessor article.He is comparing FPGA and microprocessor in above terms.So i want to know exactly what they mean?

Reply to
hema sankar