Visual Studio C++ to PIC

This must be the first time I ever saw someone claim TIFF to be a simpler image format than something else... If you want simple, think BMP or PBM. TIFF is about the most complex image file format on the planet. It's actually so complex and diverse that some would deny it having a right to call itself one file format --- it's more like an entire family history of formats.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

If it were just for the DCT, sure. But JPEG involves quite a bit of Huffman encoding, too, and that'll take considerably more memory to decode.

And that's before you consider that you'll have to buffer the final output somewhere. From the OP's outline, it appeared he'll need *at least* a frame buffer to hold the output image for the LCD to display, on top of whatever the algorithm needs for temporary storage.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

I am a little unsure the reason why you need to run this on a small processor like a PIC. What is the reason you can't run it on a PC?

There are embedded processors such as ARM7 from several manufacturuers that will support lots of memory and versions of C++ or versions of Linux/GNU tools. However the hardware may end up being more expensive that some of the low power PC platforms available, not to mention the cost of development tools. If you are not deterred I suggest to look at the following links:

hope this helps.

regards, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny

To me it is quite unclear what the OP actually wants to do. I found no hint that he actually wants to display the picture on an LCD of any kind. He could just as well plan to implement optical triggers or motion detection. He might want to only process parts of the image, maybe even just a single pixel, and never output any pixel data at all.

I'm convinced that unless he gives greater insight into what he's planning to do, nobody can point him to an efficient solution.

Currently the only useful advice can be: given that his software already works on the VC++ platform, he should stick to it, and declare his project finished. There are many small PC boards out there, that can fit windows software into an "embedded" container.

Marc

Reply to
jetmarc