Useless whinging about rude/clueless requests for help...

(snip)

I can relate to your sentiments.

By far the thing that annoys me the most is that it is blatantly obvious that they have absolutely no interest in learning anything - even just enough to get them through the degree before they take a job selling Cisco routers. It even extends as far as not being willing to even understand what it is that they're _not_ learning!

I came across a few like this when I was doing my uni degree. They freely admitted that they weren't the slightest bit interested in learning anything taught in the course, and had no shame asking for copies of tutorial works and assignments - spending the first half of the lecture copying them out by hand, and then promptly leaving!

And yes, one of them did go on to sell Cisco routers. What a waste of an engineering degree - even sadder when you think of who may have missed out on a place because of them...

As for those 'engineers' that claim they have been given a task by their boss, yet are clearly incapable of grasping the fundamental concepts behind the problem and ask for "urgent help plz" (help often equating to source code) - they're either complete liars or work for a company that I would hope I never buy a product from.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

What they've discovered is Google Groups. They have no clue what Usenet is. :/

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is it 1974? What's
                                  at               for SUPPER? Can I spend my
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Hell, it's easy. Just go to one of the local "hi-tech" employers and grab a couple of H-1B's. One will likely be this sort. My last couple of "permanent" jobs were spent in substantial part fixing their elementary mistakes, until my $70K salary became too big for the local employers.

(and, yes, there were good H-1B's, too.)

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Think yourself lucky! I shall consider it a major milestone in my career when a complete stranger searches me out and decides I might be the one to solve his problem.

Of course, the shine will have gone by the third request and the tenth might well have seen the novelty worn off completely...

Reply to
Tom Lucas

I almost do not get emails like these because I am paranoid about protecting my email address(es), but it is a growing source of irritation in the usenet groups and mailing lists I read.

Please accept my apologies for quoting myself: (The whole thread was "Shooting ourselves in the foot" in c.a.e, January 2006)

... I wish there was a way to weed out the type of "professionals" that seem to be appearing more and more often in the newsgroups I frequent, with posts along the lines of:

Hi group!! I'm a surgeon and will be performing open chest surgery on one of my patients tomorrow. I have a few questions: What is an hemorrhage, when do you use it? What is a suture? What is coagulation, What is an antibiotic? What is anesthesia, do you implant it before or after the coagulation? Where exactly is the heart? Can you help me? Please email the answer directly to the operating room.

Yes, I am exaggerating. No, I am not exaggerating a lot.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

As a culture, we (the US, Canada, and I suspect most other western European cultures) have brought ourselves to the point where you can't get a job selling those Cisco routers _without_ a college degree. It's a pity, because there are a lot of kinds of competent that don't require a degree, and as you pointed out the frat boys who are just there for the piece of paper crowd out kids with less drive/money/parental influence.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

In article , Tim Wescott writes

I am not sure what a "frat boy" is but I get the idea I think.

However life is all about fighting for survival. So loosing those with less drive is just the way it goes. If they are helped over this fence they will fall at the next. It is natures way.

However money and parental influence should not have any bearing on getting a degree. The problem is that these days in the UK you need (a lot of) money to be able to afford to go to university that or have no money and the state pays.

So the rich can afford to go, the poor are assisted to go. The middle class who traditionally used to go: pay more taxes to pay for the poor kids and therefore can't afford to send their own kids.

Bloody ridiculous.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

-- snip --

Hmm. Fraternal student organizations? "Greeks"? You don't have them, or they don't have the reputation over there as over here?

At any rate, they're supposed to be self-help societies to help kids do well in school. Some of them actually are. Others are drinking and cheating clubs, dedicated to getting one through school with the least amount of effort. They're nearly ubiquitous at some private universities in the US, to the point where unaffiliated students are viewed as being odd -- saying "I don't belong to a fraternity" when asked at such schools is like saying "oh, I crawled out from under a rock" when asked one's birthday.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Quite simply, that's because higher education is *too big* now. The HE sector in the UK has probably doubled in size since I got my degree, and that's not quite 20 years ago. There aren't that many graduate calibre jobs around. It's now reached the point where it must be unreasonable for a new graduate, unless s/he offers either outstanding intellect or specific vocational skills, can expect a job that was "graduate calibre" a generation before.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
Reply to

Sounds to me like someone with a little spirit of free enterprise could take a summary of all the best postings to C.A.E and turn it into a book! It could be called "The Best of C.A.E". But then you would have to give it away to meet the needs of the market discussed above!

Reply to
rickman

Or, not so long ago :

hello...... i m employ of kobian electronics................. i have get aproject of adsl modem please give me the guidness about it that how can i make it........... and programming is necessary in it............... which ic is better olease tell me Yes, 'Kobian', remember that name!

Reply to
Phillip

The current U.S. president is an example of a frat boy. Draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

It this an example of getting a degree by money and connections and no academic skill at all?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

Like Bill Gates ???

Reply to
Donald

You ask this semi-rhetorical question in language that implies a belief that "academic skill" is a measure of something useful. The value of an engineer, or a president, is measured in concrete accomplishments. It's not clear how academic skill would be a good predictor of presidential accomplishments.

Reply to
larwe

I don't know his history that well. Did he not earn his initial degree himself?

BTW most powerful people get conferred honorary degrees

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

This is a measure of diligence, which is one of the parameters of the usefulness.

The

The lack of the academic degree is typically the indication of not persevere or a lazy person. Of course, there can be different situations in the life, but this is the most usual.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

On Apr 1, 1:41 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky

Statistically speaking, the lack of any specific level of academic achievement (reading+writing+arithmetic, high school diploma, undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree) is, in the vast majority of cases, due to a lack of access. For tertiary education, particularly postgrad, this is the case even in "progressive" first-world countries.

Even if we artificially restrict the discussion to wealthy children in urban areas of first-world countries who do not need to work (through all the time up to approx. 20 years old) in order to feed their extended family, it would require a large semantic leap - a charitable way of saying "make the facts fit the belief" - to characterize all those who do not receive at least an undergraduate degree as lazy or lacking perseverance.

It's likely you were basing your statement on the actualities of some fantasy universe of which you are the sole denizen, as has been the case in many other threads here in c.a.e. I think werty lives in the same universe, though I suspect he's posting from an insane asylum.

Reply to
larwe

No, my dear friend. You see, the lack of anything is first of all the lack of desire or will to apply an effort to receive that. This is especially true in the so-called "first world" countries, where the rivers are literally made of milk and chocolate.

You are too spoiled with the good life. The education is not something that one can have for granted. Knowledge is power only if it was gained by the effort. You should strive for it.

Go to the army, earn money some other way. That should not be a problem for a smart person with a dedication. BTW, quite many people did that.

it would require a large semantic leap - a charitable

I am not saying "All". I am saying "Most".

Problems with the admission of the bitter truth, huh?

Do you have to say anything else?

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

With GWB as an example we can show that being thick does not make you a good president.