RTC PCF8563: Does not count

Hello,

I am using the PCF8563 as RTC on my board. It should be plain simple to access via I²C. Other people seem to use it without problems, therefore following problem is driving me nuts:

I can read and write the registers in the part via I²C. The clock is running at its 32.768kHz. I can set a date and read it back. However: The RTC does not count correctly?!? I observed following: When I write e.g. $12 into the seconds-register, I get the seconds $00, $10, $02, $12, but no other values. It seems like it is counting internally correctly, and then masks the value with $12 before it sends it. When I write $ff, it counts correctly (at least for the seconds). About the same is with hours and minutes (but much harder to test because very slow)...

The other register should also be set correctly.

Has someone an idea what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Thomas

P.S.: I know that the registers are in BCD-format.

Reply to
Thomas Entner

"Thomas Entner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:460b6928$0$25626$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader02.highway.telekom.at...

Hi Eric,

thank you, you are totally right. The EEPROM has ID $50 (RTC has $51), but it uses the LSBs of its ID as address-extension. So I will use a 24C02 instead of the 24C16, this should work then...

Thanks a lot & have a nice day,

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Entner