Use of MAX232 as power supply for operational amplifier in 5V powered system?

Hi,

I need to add simple amplifier to my digital system which is powered from a single 5V battery. To achieve proper operation of the operational amplifier I need at least

+8V and -8V voltages. I can build a simple voltage multiplier and inverter like shown here:
using the 6-CMOS inverter chip as an oscillator and a source of alternating voltage.

However antoher idea is to use something cheap and standard like MAX232. Has anybody tried to use this chip just as a voltage converter? Unfortunately I can't find the output characteristics for V+ and V- pins. Maybe I'll need also additional voltage regulator to improve the quality of this power supply voltage (or maybe simple RC filter will be sufficient...).

Has anybody tried to do it?

--
TIA & Regards,
WZab

http://www.ise.pw.edu.pl/~wzab/gps_logger - Open Sourse GPS logger with voice
recording
Reply to
wzab

The max 232 will give you 10 mA max..

Reply to
TTman

Thank you very much. Now I have also found it in the "OUTPUT VOLTAGE vs. LOAD CURRENT" chart on the 4th page of the

datasheet. And in fact such use of MAX232 is accepted by the manufacturer. However yet another question is the voltage quality. I suppose, that the clock signal driving the charge pump will be also present in the output voltage. What is a typical frequency of this clock?

-- TIA & Regards, WZab

Reply to
wzab

Yes, this works. However, it delivers only few milliamps and the output is very noisy.

Look into ADM202 datasheet.

That depends on your application.

This is a pretty standard trick.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Be careful you don't overload these supplies. Be especially careful if you are using one of the many "equivalent" parts - they vary somewhat in how much current they can supply, and what happens if you overload them. In some cases, the charge pump switches off on overload and stays off until you power off the device.

Reply to
David Brown

I do this. ST232A powers an LM393 dual comparator that helps the receiver do some things it normally won't do, like, add hysteresis, etc. So far it seems to work great. I like the ST232A because its rails are a bit higher than other RS232 chips.

boB

Reply to
boB

I like it because it is dirt cheap. Last time I needed fairly small quantities of an RS232 driver the ST232 was 70-odd pence a peice. The MAX232 was around four or five times that as I remember. That's a big premium simply for the brand name genuine part.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

I've done way worse.

These days I prefer a TI TPS60403. Cheap and less noise.

Reply to
Jim Stewart