USB frames synchronous?

Hi group-

Does anyone know if the USB frame messages sent to all USB devices connected to the same computer are guaranteed to be synchronous and in lock step?

Please excuse my limited knowledge of USB. The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking into the implementation of a USB based sensor where, when muliple sensors are connected to the same computer, they must all sample the sensing voltage to within 10 msec of each other. It seems to me that the frame message is a convenient heartbeat that I can use only if it's synchronous with other USB devices and there are no dropped or lost frame messages.

Thanks, John.

Reply to
John Speth

Hi John,

No, there's no guarantee for that.

A computer can have several independant USB hosts, for example one integrated in the chipset and another one on the "pro edition" mainboard. There's no guarantee other than that each host complies to the USB spec.

Reply to
jetmarc

And then throw downstream hubs into the mix...

How would you identify the same frame on different devices anyway? IIRC you can't even broadcast to different devices???

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,