usb camera recommendation

I'm looking for a 3Mpixel camera with a usb interface for an embedded application. Any recommendations?

Reply to
Paul Thacker

A while ago I used this one, or a very similar model (looks the same and is also 3MP) .

I was using it in Windows but I think there are Linux drivers for it now.

Reply to
larwe

&ci_sku=3D10779040>.

Thanks, but I'm looking for something I can mount on a PCB for a consumer device. It would have to be available in quantity from an OEM.

Reply to
Paul Thacker

Hi Paul.

Since you mentioned in another note that you want one that is PCB mount, I don't have a specific recommendation, but..

If you are not planning to write your own drivers, you might want to make sure that the camera implements the USB device class definition for video devices. Most won't, but will have custom drivers implemented for only their vendor and device ID. That's a pain if you are in anything but Windows (maybe even CE).

For Linux, see

which lists supported cameras (though not PCB mount, I suspect) which means they implement the class. Might lead to others that are PCB mount.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
steve_schefter

I think 3MP might be a bit ambitious... 1.3 seems to be the standard for integrated webcams in laptops these days, at least 0.3 and 1.3 are the resolutions all the OEMs are offering.

Reply to
larwe

Forgot to mention that my comment applies to USB cameras. Of course cellphone camera modules are available aplenty. Not trivial to control though.

Reply to
larwe

Thanks for the suggestion. The initial device will be WinCE 6.0, with possible Linux implementation in the future. I'm familiar with USB Video Class; it is one of the considerations in our decision.

Regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul Thacker

Yes, 3MP is easy, and USB is easy, it's combining the two that's the problem.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul Thacker