NS-R5101HD same as Pioneer VSX-819H-K Receiver

Was working perfectly fine for many years. 5.1 setup with Paradigm Atom speakers and Sony sub. Connected to TV via SPDIF cable. One day sound "popped" and now LED shows volume numbers go UP and DOWN(knob or remote), but sound level stays the same. Sound is distorted and when plugged in headphones, one channel only. Tested all transistors on the AMP board, - nothing shorted or open. Tested all diodes. Caps seem fine. Same tests with main board. All voltages are seems there. The rest of the boards tested the same also...

Any help is highly appreciated.

Reply to
999bga

Looking at the block diagram in the Pioneer VSX-819-HK service manual, my suspicion would be that something may have gone bad on sub-assembly K (the INPUT-819 board). In particular, IC801 (R2A15218FP) is a big monster which performs the analog input selection, analog/digital switching, and volume adjustment functions. It has a simple control input (DATA and CLOCK inputs from the central micro-controller)... could be something like an I2C or SPI interface I suppose. If this IC has developed an internal fault, then the analog signal paths would go wonky, and the microcontroller which runs everything would probably not know about it.

If you have an o'scope, you could feed a test signal to the receiver's AUX inputs, select AUX, and then look at the signals going ito pins 75 and 76 of IC801 (AUX-In to the selector) and at the various outputs to this IC. If I'm reading the block diagram correctly, pins 54 and 55 should feed the selected input signal out to the A-to-D converter (there are on-chip level controls), while 21 and 22 drive the signal out to the "front right" and "front left" amplifier channels (there's a whole bunch of switching, volume control, and other stuff going on inside the chip in this path).

If the signal isn't getting through IC801 properly, you'd either need to replace this big IC (if it's even available separately) or replace the whole K sub-assembly board.

Reply to
Dave Platt