Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3

Hi,

just saw a press release from Philips, announcing 2 small devices same size as the Sylabs but less functionality, so I expect them to be less expensive. The press release is here:

Unfortunately I could not find documentation for the devices on the Philips website but a Users Manual was already posted on that User Group in the files section.

With max 14.7 MHz running from internal and having a 2-clock core, these tiny micros are second only to Sylabs in performance (>7 MIPS!). Curious what the price might be. Definitely has to be below $1 because that is a price point that Sylabs has already set.

According to the press release the target seems to be PIC10!? A little odd if you ask me because PIC10 has a lot less of everything and I guess that pricing of the PIC10 is also lower than that of the Philips devices. But heck, PIC10 with leads is bigger than this package and ... who knows..

An Schwob in USA

Reply to
An Schwob in USA

Try

I cannot see that in

Do you have another press release ?

The LPC910x are impressive resource/mm2, but the PIC10xx are in SOT23 style which cannot accept as large a die, but is a cheaper package. [smaller die + cheaper package => cheaper (& dumber) device ]

Personally, a 3mm package with 10 pins is a lot more usefull than a 3mm package with 6 leads.

The SiLabs devices have larger code options, up to 8K, and have the CalOsc only on the larger models, so the Philips LPC9xx slot in below these.

Final price will be interesting - their older LPC9xx were 70-80c

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hello Schwob,

But they aren't 16 bit like the MSP. If they come out significantly below $1 that would be a bargain though, considering the 8bit ADC/DAC being included. That resolution may not sound like something to write home about but it is enough for many bare bones apps.

So, are you from Schwaben in Germany? We just had a real treat, genuine hand made Spaetzle that friends of ours created. Meaning I did not lose weight last week...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Joerg,

yes I am from Schwaben, Stuttgart, somewhat "stranded" in California, not too bad though;-) btw. I agree with your comment about the MSP having more processing power and some other benefits but with 1k FLASH with EEPROM functionality, 8-bit ADC and even a UART, I think many small applications can be done. This seems to be an ideal "Slave processor" assisting a larger CPU with minimal external components and very low power.

Gruss, Schwob

Joerg wrote:

MIPS!).

because

genuine

lose

Reply to
An Schwob in USA

first mention I have seen of price says this:

quantities of 10,000, > are both priced at 87 cents. The price could fall to as low as 60 cents in volumes of a million pieces.

Which is quite good, given the state of the $US, and the ADC/DAC/UART/Comp/CalOsc included.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. This should put some pressure on the market. I could move a few designs to a uC architecture if they dipped to well under $1.

I/O features are often more important than processing horsepower and it seems that companies are beginning to embrace that thought. TI is coming out with their 430F2x series that finally has internal pull up/down and, yeehaa, muxed comparator inputs. Just as I had this on my Santa wish list they announced it.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Sub dollar micros have been available for a long time. You just have to buy enough to make it worth their while.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

Hi Ian,

Yes, they have. However, when you need a little ADC capability in there, enough IO port pins for a user interface and all that in a micro power application then it's slim pickings.

A friend once told me that he can only use four-bitters of the no-frills kind, no comparator, no mayo, no ketchup, nothing. But they cost only a couple of dimes.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

That's a tough combination allright. I was involved in a domestic CO detector development that needed the micropower and ADC but the only user interface was one button and one LED. The micro in that one was well below one dollar.

I was also involved in an electronic label printer development. That needed the ADC, dot matrix LCD and keyboard interfaces but not the micropower. The complete BOM for the entire product, including micro, LCD, print head, keyboard, casework and packaging was USD8.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to