Technica information on Gameboy Advance PCB and catridge connectors?

Hi, there:

I am studying ARM assembly programming and FPGA. I can program some simple programs with the LCD and buttons.

I need some technical information on how to interface with the FPGA through the catridge connector.

Thanks for your leads.

Kelvin

Reply to
Kelvin

Elektor magazine published a design a while ago for a cartridge that converted a standard Gameboy into a scope. Since the Gameboy Advance is compatible with Gameboy cartridges, there may be some similarity between the cartridge pinouts? Sorry, I'm not sure what issue it was in, but I think they have an index on the website, so try Google?

Reply to
Ppelectron

I found it, it's on sale but it doesn't have information on the actual design.

Thanks for the lead.

Kelvin

simple

through

converted

with

pinouts?

on the

Reply to
Kelvin

Your Googling skills obviously aren't up to much, here is the complete article:

If only it could have managed even 5MHz we might have been able to convince our boss that we all needed one in our toolkits.

Peter

moocowmoo

Hiya,

I was looking at this sort of thing once as well, I found

to be quite useful. Have you heard of the XPort

I hope these are of some assistance.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Howard

Thank you very much!

Kelvin

convince

Reply to
Kelvin

Yea. I am reading Xport.

Thank you.

Kelvin

simple

through

Reply to
Kelvin

Gameboy Classic cartridges uses 5 volt signaling where as Gameboy Advance cartridges use 3.3 volts. This is used by the Advance to detect the cartridge type and hence select which pin-out to use with the cartridge as they differ. The Classic uses 16 bit address bus with an 8 bit data bus while the Advance multiplexes a 24 bit address bus and 16 data bus on the same pins. I don't think that you can't execute ARM instructions from a Classic cartridge and hence are restricted to the Classic's Z80ish environment. You might find the following PDF useful. It contains details of the Advance's cartridge interface.

Wishing you good fortune,
--Robin Kay-- (komadori)
Reply to
Robin KAY