Where to start?: Another Neophyte looking for some advice.

Hi All, I am sorry to bother you experienced guys here. I am a software person with c/C++ knowledge. I am interested in learning embedded systems programming. I have started with assembly programming for Motorola

6011 and 6012. I would like your opinion on, how good is it to start with this processor to learn? Does it represent state of the art technology? Are there any requirements for this knowledge? The book that I am using by Dr. Jonathan Valvano is pretty good. Your suggestions and advice are most welcome.

Thank you, Regards, Abhi

Reply to
Abhi

Hi Jan-Hinnerk,

Thank you for your detailed reply. It was really very helpful. As for my needs of embedded systems.... honestly I am doing this to learn so that I should be able to do lower level programming with C/C++. May be for a mobile device or something. I am looking for a live project to work upon ...just to get some expereince. All this finally is for a job that I am looking for. I just finieshed my MS in Computer Science from UC, Ohio. And it seems most jobs in wireless industry require some experience with embedded systems. please let me know if you have any ideas about projects that I would be happy to work upon.

Thanks, Regards, Abhi

Thanks for pointing out :) It was a typo on my part.

Reply to
Abhi

Hi,

my general advise is to start with something *very* easy. At first there are enough problems with your compiler, programmer and accessing hardware (without an OS).

IMHO it is also a good idea to do some small thing in assembler. This gives you a better feeling of what's going on. However, it is not absolutely neccessary.

Finding a project idea is not easy. Look for something you need/want. My first real project was interfacing an PC-keyboard to an AMIGA500. Or do something nice as a present for a friend (e.g. the ultimate kitchen timer, a hard-to-destroy-remote-control, a device with fancy flashing LEDs).

Just keep your mind open and some project will find you ;-)

Jan-Hinnerk

Reply to
Jan-Hinnerk Reichert