Starting with the Philips LPCxxx ARM Chips?

Hi,

For my final year university project I'm looking at using an ARM microcontroller. I'm leaning towards the Philips LPC2136/2138 at the moment. While I've used PICs and AVRs I don't have any experience designing in more advanced uCs like these. As I'm on a budget I'll stick with the GNU tools and make my own development board.

Are there any tricks or tips when using WinARM with this chip? Better yet, is there a dead simple 'hello world' example somewhere on the web with a pre-written crt0.s? The winARM examples don't seem to include a simple 'blink a LED' program for that chip.

As for programming: Is it really as simple as using an RS232 level translator on the USART, grounding P0.14, and using the built-in bootloader with the Philips software? This just seems too easy to me. I'm used to configuring fuses to adjust oscillator settings etc.

Does the bootloader reside in Flash, or does it have its own dedicated memory space?

Actually, does anyone have any good tutorials for using GCC with these chips?

Thanks,

Al Borowski

Reply to
Al Borowski

Hi Al.

Take a peek at

they have a few very cheap and easy to use boards with LPC21xx and they come with a simple development utility as well. I have used the LPC2132 to enhance my knowledge about ethernet-TCP/IP programming.

Regards /Goran

"Al Borowski" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Goran Nordstrom