Spikes in digital logic outputs on startup?

Hi,

Has anyone any experience on the dynamic startup behavior of digital logic circuitry on power-up? I'm trying to determine if digital logic (NAND, NOR, FF) has a spike on startup which could trigger a connected transistor.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Dr. O

Lacking any schematics, power on waveforms, definition of "trigger", etc. my crystal ball says "possibly".

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

NOR,

YES, one cause: Look at your ground plane as a resitor divider network,then inductances as well for any kind of transients (as in power on) another cause Do your logic network startup at the power defaults of the chips or du you "force" a different state. (an inverter that has to go high will need some time to do so)

HTH

--
----
Morten

A potentially BAD experience, which I wish I had videotaped. I was designing the ignition sequencer for a model rocket to be launched underwater, and I found out the hard way that *anything* can happen when power is applied. At that moment, all sorts of timing limits are potentially being violated.

If you have an application like mine, where unexpected momentary switch-on is never, ever acceptable, then please pay careful attention to power and reset sequencing. This may add a lot of complexity depending on your design... (In my case, it was a potential show-stopper - I had to fit my circuit on one side of a 20mm circular PCB). I used a Maxim power watchdog IC - don't have the part# handy but I can look it up - and a second switching transistor to keep the igniter isolated until the rails were stable. You might get away with using a tristate buffer between your logic and the circuit being driven. Have appropriate pullup/pulldown on the buffer outputs to keep them at a safe state when hi-Z, and use a power watchdog IC to keep those outputs tristated until the power is known good.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I've also found that latches and flip-flops from different manufacturers may power up in different output states. Case in point: 74LCX574s from Fairchild power up with the outputs high. TC74LCX574s from Toshiba power up with the outputs low. That makes it important that you set the desired value before you enable the outputs. (I learned the hard way, of course!)

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Yeah, all kinds of bad things can and do happen as the power goes up (and DOWN, don't forget that). Often simple-Simon RC/diode circuits can control things, most of the time, on power-up, but not ALL the time, and not on power-down. Be afraid.

Supervisor chips are an easy way to control this kind of behavior, but some analog knowledge may still be required, because they don't guarantee operation right down to 0V. Hence, you have to guarantee that your circuit *won't* work below a certain voltage under all possible conditions. For example, the supervisor chip may be guaranteed to have a valid output for Vdd >= 1.0V, but your transistor may possibly turn on at 0.75V. Between 0.75V adn 1.0V, the behavior is undefined. Most units will probably work okay, but some may not, under some conditions (maybe high ambient temperature, high-beta transistors, or during a full moon).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

One example where i've seen a problem like this, well not necessarily digital logic, but close enough was a 555 timer. The problem was that after a power outage, the 555 timer would fire once the power got switched back on, and momentarily unlock an electric lock. You wouldn't want this happening at midnight where no one was in a building. I proposed a solution to just use a cheap microcontroller. That way, you just needed to add a pulldown resistor to the port to initialize in a safe state, and the micro would initialize as an input anyways, so it wouldn't drive the relay to unlock the system. A cheap

8-pin micro is not many more cents than a logic gate in cost too.
Reply to
Mike V.

All logic states are UNDEFINED when the power is off. At some later time, after all the transients have settled down and rippled through the system, states can be considered as defined (not to be confused with the way you WANT it to be). Since the only way to get from one place to another is through some continuous time, you can guarantee that there WILL be turn-on transients along the path. It's UNavoidable.

However, there are techniques that can be used to make the probability very low. For an example, look at the software hoops you have to jump thru to write flash ram. That's done to minimize the possibility of trashing the contents on power up/down. mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

If its just one output line a gate is often the simplest option: just one tr, R and C. It allows conduction after the RC has reached enough V for tr to conduct. For digital lines where you cant afford the Vdrops of a bjt, use a fet.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If its just one output line a gate is often the simplest option: just one tr, R and C. It allows conduction after the RC has reached enough V for tr to conduct. For digital lines where you cant afford the Vdrops of a bjt, use a fet.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If its just one output line a gate is often the simplest option: just one tr, R and C. It allows conduction after the RC has reached enough V for tr to conduct. For digital lines where you cant afford the Vdrops of a bjt, use a fet.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

message news:...

See above.

What happens when the power goes off (when the digital stuff is not guaranteed to work properly, but bad things are not guaranteed NOT to happen)? What if it goes up to just okay, then dips off again? A simple RC (or RC + diode to Vdd) is not foolproof. It's cheap and it works *most* of the time, but it's not the correct thing to use in protecting memory or other hardware that might do the wrong thing. It needs to be sensitive to absolute voltage, with some degree of accuracy, and preferably to have a fixed time delay.

Example where RC is okay: reset line for a calculator chip with no persistent memory

Example where RC is not okay: garage door opener, instrument with nonvolatile calibration memory or user settings, etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Spehro Pefhany >"

Completely agree - a very common design error IME.

One exception, however, is the rare case of a situation where the PSU has its own brownout logic, and guarantees a minimum powerdown hold time and rise/fall times. (I queried a design with an RC on the reset once, fully confident that it was a classic mistake - but it was, to my surprise, justified on the above grounds.)

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

message news:...

I'm not suggesting an RC, but R-C-Fet. The FET stays oc until its RC has charged, which is set to well after the rails are up.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton
[snip]

I've used a TL430 as an under-voltage sensor plus an LM339 with an R/C to thwart an ass-hole who figured out how to blow my switching power supply design by rocking the switch ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And what happens if the power blips back down out of spec after the FET has turned on?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I'd add a diode from the cap to the + rail. When power sags C discharges into the rail.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Slightly better, but not much. This has all kinds of pathologies (think forward drop, inductance etc). RC reset circuits, even with the diode, should be in the "How not to do things" sections of Horowitz and Hill (and possibly are...).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

message news:...

So the capacitor is Vdd + 0.6V as the supply rail drops. At what Vdd voltage will the FET turn completely off (to the extent that it can't possibly cause any problems under all conditions and with any FET of the part number you have in mind)? Suppose there's some SOB rocking the power switch back and forth and the supply voltage is going in and out of spec (by which I mean the voltage at which the digital stuff is guaranteed to be working properly).

Another possible pathological situation- suppose the supply voltage is coming from the AC line via a variac and I increase it very, very slowly- much more slowly than the RC time constant. Will it still guarantee everything is in the proper state?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Maybe for the naked diode, but add a series R and you are controlling rise and fall times separately. The local supply capacitors should prevent any short supply transients anyhow, and if they do appear all is already lost. This is probably a situation where the entire local supply should be diode isolated anyhow.

Reply to
CBFalconer