So called "copyright" pictures

hopefully they have lived together before the wedding and she would already know, anything else would be stupid ...

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If a book goes out of print, fair use is stretched a bit more as far as being able to photocopy it. You still can't do anything you want if the book is out of print, but it gets the user more rights, for instance, to use photocopying to replace a worn out or damaged copy. I wonder if that's a special deal just for book users, or if it extendes to other media as well.

-- Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Scheible

Old expression: "Why should we ruin a good thing by getting married?".

--John
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
J.Clarke

That's not the tradition. The white gown is supposed to symbolize to you males that she hasn't been before.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Reply to
jmfbahciv

The statistics are more than clear that the divorce rate is *higher* for those who shack up before marriage. I'm skeptical about the causation, though--it seems more plausible to me that,as a group, those that are less likely to divorce are also less likely to live together before marriage.

Just the males? Surely it's as much for the other females.

The clergy were opposed to the white and yellow gowns when they first came into style, upon the grounds that there should be no need to advertise such a state, which should be the norm.

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

White gowns are a pretty recent tradition, less than 200 years. Before that they could be lots of colors, though pastels were usually favored.

-- Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Scheible

This is a good example of a meaningless statistic. Not only can there be a relation between the groups that explains the results (rather than one causing the other) the "result" is not necessarily meaningful. The number of lasting marriages vs. divorces is not the real issue, but rather the number happy marriages is what would be useful to count. There very well may be a strong correlation between couples choosing to remain chaste and choosing to not divorce even in an unhappy marriage.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Maybe not for long enough -- apparently hormones and lust alone can keep a couple together for about four years -- after that, reality starts to set in. Five years together before deciding on marriage seems a reasonable time period that I'm going to be recommending to my kids.

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis@CSi.com 	(Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brian Inglis

A different conclusion can be made using the same data: Perhaps a couple living together without marriage...has fewer demands on each other. After they marry, each acquires a sense of entitlement, and the situation gets too confining for the couple.

In the orient, white is the traditional color of mourning... worn to funerals and such. Perhaps they have the right idea. (Traditional Chinese wedding dresses are *red*.)

--

+----------------------------------------------------------------+ | Charles and Francis Richmond richmond at plano dot net | +----------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to

I thought that "happy marriage" was an oxymoron...like "cruel kindness" and "military intelligence"... ;-)

(By the way, my dictionary says that the plural of "oxymoron" is "oxymora"...curious that...)

--

+----------------------------------------------------------------+ | Charles and Francis Richmond richmond at plano dot net | +----------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Richmond

JC> That's not the tradition. The white gown is supposed to symbolize JC> to you males that she hasn't been before.

Blue to symbolise that she has which leads to a quote which I can't recall the origin of along the lines of "... in that case I'll get married in white", pause, "with little blue spots".

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Steve O'Hara-Smith
[...]

IIRC, in some (Asian?) cultures, white is the color of mourning.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

JC> Old expression: "Why should we ruin a good thing by getting married?".

We got married to formalise the arrangements for raising kids.

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Steve O'Hara-Smith

Meaningless statistic? Meaningless statistic?

--
#include
 _
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin D. Quitt

For some reason this whole discussion makes me think of Goldie Hawn, who after two failed marriages decided to shack up with Kurt Russell--they've been happily shacked now for 21 years.

--John
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
J.Clarke

I thought that's what divorce was for?

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis@CSi.com 	(Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brian Inglis

Yes, don't you know that 97.3 % of statistics are made up???

--

+----------------------------------------------------------------+ | Charles and Francis Richmond richmond at plano dot net | +----------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Richmond

My sister is a patent attorney at Kodak. I asked her what was up re: your photos. Her reply:

"I asked those in the know. It is no longer sold, but until last year, EKC sold a receiver (that is, the actual print paper) for professional photographers which had imbedded in it yellow dye in a certain pattern. This is not visible through the print, but is easily seen with a colorimeter. Functionally, that's what a reprint kiosk is

- a colorimeter/copier. EKC kiosks were programmd to refuse EKC protected prints. We stopped selling the stuff because photographers couldn't get copies of their own prints made, and therefore didn't like it."

George ============================================== Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST dot NET

Reply to
George Neuner

Thanks for the info. Why don't they simply reprogram their kiosks to accept those prints? In fact, I understand they can be overridden, so it would probably take no more than a memo to the locations having them. Killing the paper seems like self-flagellation.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Killing the product is a business decision that has few, if any repercussions. But allowing the duplication of a professional photo, when at least *some* photographers use their protected paper, may well have legal issues. Even though the system was a commercial failure, they may be obligated to continue the process of protection.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com