So called "copyright" pictures

Congratulations are due upon engagement. At the wedding say to the bride, congratulate the bride with "it's a beautiful wedding!' - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I have noticed that restaurants avoid using that song now when the staff presents a birthday desert.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Not only that, but the state labor board (in the US, certainly in CT) will consider the employer in violation if he hasn't contributed to unemployment insurance, workmans comp, and take out witholding tax. You have no reason to submit any estimated taxes. If the work ends, you can collect unemployment.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

That's done in the sandbox, I presume...

ObSniglet: Farrelphobia: the fear of being approached by waiters singing "Happy Birthday"

-- /~\ snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs) \ / I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way. X Top-posted messages will probably be ignored. See RFC1855. / \ HTML will DEFINITELY be ignored. Join the ASCII ribbon campaign!

Reply to
Charlie Gibbs

Disk drives!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: I have preferences. You have biases. He/She has prejudices.

Reply to
Gene Wirchenko

Most ethical issues in the USA are settled according to an old principle known as "the golden rule". Briefly sated, it says that "he who has the gold, makes the rules".

In legal terms, this means that whenever a contractual relationship is established, one of the parties is more likely to have consulted a lawyer, and to be in a position to demand that the contract be executed according to a text prepared by this party and his lawyer, with no changes allowed. "If you don't like these words, you don't have to sign, but don't worry, this is all standard 'boilerplate'."

In the case of a professional photographer contracting with a private individual, the photographer is the stronger party.

In the case of an individual programmer contracting with a corporate client, the corporation is the stronger party.

--
/ Lars Poulsen        +1-805-569-5277   http://www.beagle-ears.com/lars/
   125 South Ontare Rd, Santa Barbara, CA 93105 USA  lars@beagle-ears.com

But isn't there something in favour of the client like the photographer MUST keep the negatives and if he isn't available anymore the rights (at least to make copies) go over to you...

RK

Reply to
Reinhard Kopka

Unless otherwise agreed, that is. Basically in most countries of the world, the *copyright* as such cannot be transferred -- but *all* other rights connected to it can be, and it is a matter of agreement which rights are transferred to whom...

Helmut

Reply to
Helmut P. Einfalt

Appearances can be deceiving. The difference was presence of H_2O.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Reply to
jmfbahciv

The one (admittedly not often terribly effective) counterbalance to this is the legal principle that when the language of a contract is ambiguous, the courts must follow the interpretation that favors the party who did NOT draft the contract.

--
Roland Hutchinson              Will play viola da gamba for food.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Roland Hutchinson

They /bride/!?! It's the groom who needs the condolences!

Think they can make 3-13? NFL AFC West: KC, Denver, and the losers.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Only if the contract says so.

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

...by Wilson, Kepple, and Betty.

Damn your eyes! I've now got STS (of their "theme tune").

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                          bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "We can no longer stand apart from Europe if we would.  Yet we are
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

If you paid him 'to make the recording' and he made the recording he did what you paid him for. If you paid him to supply you with a recording which you could take home and reproduce as many times as you want then that's what he has to do. For the latter, he would doubtless charge more money.

As with the earlier question, the answer is to read the contract. If you have no written contract (and with a professional wedding-photographer you usually will) then be very clear on what you want when you ask him to come and take some pictures.

Yes. You paid for the pics. You did not pay the larger amount of money you would have been charged to own the copyright on the pics. Read the contract. It will be perfectly clear from the wording of the contract who owns what.

Reply to
Simon Slavin

Mike came to the UK for something I was attending and passed the same offer on to us: make copies on video (DVDs hadn't been invented back then), give them to your friends to watch if you like, but you can't sell them and you can't make any form of profit on them.

Reply to
Simon Slavin

Our wedding photographer decided to discard the negatives after a number of years. He wanted several thousand dollars for them.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt              91387-4454            Kevin@Quitt.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin D. Quitt

Disk drives after the sprinkler system went off on the unattended graveyard weekend shift. Jack Peacock

Reply to
Jack Peacock

Well, the key point is "not make profit." From the comments of his I've seen, and his reaction to Rombaldi's efforts, he's fine with people selling them at a price that will recoup their costs.

What frustrates me is that Mike won't allow people to tack on a royalty for him, and he won't take contributions. Geez, he deserves the money!

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Wow! You had a sprinkler system?

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Yes. The lady that wrote it wanted every kid to have a song for his birthday--but she wants to be paid for commercial usage.

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins