I am working on project which is used for rural population in India. The requirement is field agent will be visiting remote villages to collect information (demographic) and their identity proofs using a camera based scanner. The issue is these scanner work with PC/Laptop which is connected to USB port (scanner draws power from USB port). Unfortunately in remote areas electricity is not available for most part of the day. So we are looking for following solution:
- Small device with battery that can last for 6-8 hrs.
- Has USB Host port that connects to scanner
- Device needs to have small LCD display (2-4") which can show the images coming from scanner camera.
- Device will have set of buttons that can be used to take a picture of the document (as good as scan)
- It stores it in internal memory /Micro SD card
- Status screen (can share same screen for showing the image preview) for total count of the picture, scrolling through images, deleting etc.
- When field agent returns to office, he/she can connect the device to PC and download images to PC for further processing.
Does anyone know if such device is readily available? otherwise how to build it? I looked at option of using USB port of Andriod based phone but it is not readily available.
Since this is Govt project run by NGO, budget is a big constraint.
Any help is highly appreciated.
--------------------------------------- Posted through