How to connect a 120V device to Australian mains supply?

Hi,

I have very little knowledge of electronics and I think this is a fairly basic question. I have a Sangean WR-2 radio bought in the US that I want to use in Australia. The radio is powered 120V/60Hz/24W. In Australia we have 240V at 50Hz.

What do I need to do to use this device safely in Australia, apart from buying the plug adapter?

Regards,

Arno

Reply to
Arno

"Arno"

** Go to Dick Smith Electronics and buy a step down transformer.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil

Gosh, is DSE still alive over there? Thay made a big push into the US some years back, lots of catalogs and ads. They opened a store in Mountain View, pretty deep into Silicon Valley, but it was in a bad location and had fairly dinky stuff, and it couldn't compete. Too bad, he had some interesting stuff and his catalogs were fun.

This is the cheapest oscilloscope I've ever seen:

John

You need a transformer with the the proper adabtors to step down the AC mains to 120 VAC for the radio. There may be an issue with the line frequency for some products. Many North American devices are 60 Hz only. When used with 50 Hz their power supply may run on the warm side. If there are any circuits that are mains frequency depended, then these circuits will be working out of specs.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

"Jerry G."

** All 240/120 step-down transformers sold in Australia have them.
** Sangean radios are made in Asia - where 50 Hz operation is the norm.
** The built in clock may be way out.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Nov 23, 9:39 am, John Larkin wrote: >

Didja mean this one or is there one even less?

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Yeah, that's the one. Web sites used to have pages that you could actually bookmark and link to. I guess too many people were buying too much stuff, and they had to stop that.

John