Small ARM board

Who uses IEEE-488 anymore? Is this a NEW project?

Reply to
trevorgodwin

Uhm, this tells more than just having ignored the standard.

3.5W, most of which will go into the small sandwiched BGAs with the CPU and the DDRAM, this can't possibly operate sustained at full power, the machine will have to sleep at least 1/2 if not 2/3 of the time.

Dimiter

Reply to
dp

Perhaps he is interfacing to his Sinclair Spectrum?

iainjt

Ok, third attempt... Its a great cheap ARM board, but I can't see it meeting it's goal of getting kids into computers. Surely they are surrounded by them? And a platform based on Linux and a proprietary chip is not a great choice for that. The lead designer is apparently an ex-employee of Broadcom, and seem to enjoy close relations with his former company. Looks like a case of a solution looking for a problem?

The groups most interested will be OEMs, and designers already into embedded stuff. Oh, and Chinese school kids, where they are getting into embedded in a big way. They will be the next generation of embedded developers. Our kids will be the next generation of consumers buying stuff from China and watching youtube on it. Raspberry Pi is made in China, of course. And has HDMI video.

So good idea, probably 10 years too late.

Reply to
Bob

Sure. TTL logic levels, useful speed (1MB/s or so), it's a multidrop bus and no concerns with transmission lines or even timing. You can bit-bang a talker/listener on the device in perhaps 30 instructions and on the host side the only driver is an off-the-shelf one for the adapter - actual device control can be entirely user mode. What's not to like?

The only objection I can see is that most machines lack an interface and interfaces are fairly expensive. However, if we're talking about in-house stuff and it is _known_ interfaces are already fitted that is hardly a problem. In any case the time saved using GPIB over e.g. USB or ethernet will easily pay for the cards if we're only talking a small number of devices. Honestly, I don't see why it isn't more popular.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

----------------------------------------------------------------------- LOL, did you try searching this for "ethernet" :-). Looks like they have given some info though, will be unlike them if it is usable (my expectation only, I don't have the time for an in depth check).

Exactly. That "datasheet" is not a complete datasheet. Some peripherals stuff and that's it...

Reply to
scrts

/Real/ programmers would debug their machine code (assembly is for amateurs) by listening to the sound from the Spectrum's voltage regulators :-)

My first serious soldering project was to transplant a TI99/4A keyboard onto a Spectrum whose chewing gum had worn away.

Reply to
David Brown

Ok, third attempt... Its a great cheap ARM board, but I can't see it meeting it's goal of getting kids into computers. Surely they are surrounded by them? And a platform based on Linux and a proprietary chip is not a great choice for that. The lead designer is apparently an ex-employee of Broadcom, and seem to enjoy close relations with his former company. Looks like a case of a solution looking for a problem?

The groups most interested will be OEMs, and designers already into embedded stuff. Oh, and Chinese school kids, where they are getting into embedded in a big way. They will be the next generation of embedded developers. Our kids will be the next generation of consumers buying stuff from China and watching youtube on it. Raspberry Pi is made in China, of course. And has HDMI video.

So good idea, probably 10 years too late.

----------------------------------- Cheer up Bob. Just perhaps someone has had a bash at making something which might do some good. OK, so it's made in China. But so is a lot of tat. This might be useful (and I doubt if people are going to buy it because it's fashionable).

So, three cheers for the Raspberry Pi, and why not offer to help out at a local school's after-hours club? The Chinese cannot take that away.

Children can be very motivated by creating something that works, so if they can program the Tower of Hanoi and watch it run on their tv, that will be quite something.

Especially if they solve the problem from a random initial condition.

Reply to
Bill Davy

The Arduino was only for engineers and artists when it started.

With the power of the Pi, I am sure within 6 months there will be all sorts of project created for kids out there.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton