Serial port problem on ARM board

Hi, I bought a ARM920T based dev. board from

couple weeks ago. It came with a manual and in these days I"m following the manual to test it, now I get a problem. I am using Windows VISTA OS on Dell laptop which is not having a 9pin serial port, after consulting the vendor I bought a USB adapter to connect the USB on the laptop and the serial port on the board, and copied the hyperterminal (.dll and .exe) from Window XP to Vista, and now trying to coumminicate with the borad. Now here"s the problem.

  1. on the hyperterminal window I can not find the serial port COM1 as the manual says, but COM20 and COM3 instead. And these two ports do not work.

So question 1: what should I do with the serial port thing?

Question 2: There are 3 troops of jumpers on the board, respectively controlling the selection of the function (device or host) of the USB interface, selection between SPI0 and PS2, and that between SPI1 and PS2.

Can I still get the system up if I do not connect the jumpers on the board?

Please help me with these questions, thanks in advance!

Reply to
peter_H

Thank you guy for your kindest reply~ Do you think a USB driver would get my problem solved? thanks again

Reply to
peter_H