USB Enumeration problem

I have a USB device (development board with firmware) that I connect to using Hyperterminal (or Tera Term). When I power the device, connect it to the PC and bring up Hyperterminal, all is good. It enumerates and I can connect.

At this point, if I cycle power on the device, after it comes up Hyperterminal will not communicate. I then kill Hyperterminal and bring it back up but the COM port that was enumerated earlier is no longer in the list of valid ports.

At this point, I disconnect Hyperterminal, cycle power on the device then reconnect. All is well.

What am I not understanding about the USB initialization/enumeration sequence?

Btw, the PC is running Windows XP.

Thanks.

mikecw_1968

Is your device using a CDC-ACM stack? If so, I had the same problem. It is not a enumeration problem but a Windows problem. If you hook the device to a Linux box with CDC-ACM support and use minicom, every thing will probably work fine. It has something to do with the way windows deals with USB serial.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

it to

can

ing it

en

There are some fixes around for this and involves WinXP SP3

Reply to
bigbrownbeastie