Serial/Ethernet Converter

Hi everyone!

My requirement is very simple. I have serial port access on my product but I want ot interface it with PC via ethernet. I actually want to connect say 5-10 of my products to PC via ethernet. From product side, what I want is that, when I send a byte out of seria port ; a device(like EM-202 by tibbo) connected to the serial port sends tha byte over ethernet appending required headers/footers. Similarly from PC side, when I sen a byte using TCP(may be socket programming), the connected device(like EM-202 sends that byte over serial link. Can EM-202 do this for me ? How ? If somebod already has done this , then, please help me. thanx snipped-for-privacy@and-or.com

shoaibali11

Ask the poeple who sell it.

A former employer of mine has a whole line of products that do what you want. They devices range from models with 1 serial port to models with 32 serials ports. From the host end, the ports can be accessed via TCP sockets or you can install a device driver for Linux or Windows that make the ports accessible as "normal" serial ports (/dev/ttyXX under Linux or COMXX under Windows).

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Did an Italian CRANE
                                  at               OPERATOR just experience
                               visi.com            uninhibited sensations in
                                                   a MALIBU HOT TUB?
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Check out the Lantronix Xport

Reply to
Eric

I have recently worked with B&B's ESO901 serial server. It has also the virtual serial port (Windows) but it seems they have latency problems (like 250ms on the serial loopback), so I had to write the code which does access the serial port using sockets. B&B's technical support on this issue was close to none, but I found out they licensed the product from Passport Networks

and these guys were quite helpful. If you will be buying PNI's ESport, ask for their IPSSP library.

Reply to
rziak

may be u might get interested ?

tguclu

We have used the moxa ne-4110s successfully

Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant

That seems to be a pretty common problem. When I worked at Comtrol, we put a fair bit of effort in to keeping latency to a minimum, and our products were an order of magnitude faster the some of the competition's devices. Properly configured, our remote serial ports could have lower latency than a native

16x50 serial port.

Here's a web page with a cute flash drag race animation showing the latency testing results:

There's a table of results on the page, and a link to download a whitepaper explaining the testing methodology and the benchmark program.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Catsup and Mustard
                                  at               all over the place! It's

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you achieve "better" latency than "native" serial port ? On local serial port the latency is as low as latency of driver stack (if any), unlike remote serial port will have latency of: driver stack + network transport + serial server processing.

The data may be innacurate, especialy 5.35ms for the local serial port. I achieved oscilloscope measurable ~0.2ms response time on Win2k system on one project with ConnectTech BlueHeat and disabled FIFO.

Maybe the 5ms on local port was measured with the card not transmitting immediately if FIFO is not full.

Reply to
rziak

On 2005-08-18, rziak wrote:\

There's latency (mostly receive) in the UART -- especially if the FIFO is enabled. For some cases the latency in the UART exceeds the network latency. You can minimize the latency in the UART by disabling the FIFO, but then you've got an awful lot of interrupts to service.

Disabling the FIFO is the key. IIRC, our tests were all done with the FIFO enabled because that's how our customers run their native ports -- I presume because they've had problems running native ports in one interrupt per byte mode.

The latency on the local port is mostly in the receive FIFO. If the recieve data stops, there's a timer that has to timeout before a receive interrupt is generated.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My Aunt MAUREEN was
                                  at               a military advisor to IKE &