Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Reply to
Scott Moore

Escape Meta Alt Control Shift (EMACS) was originally implemented as a set of macros over TECO.

Vi is a piece of wombat do.

I use CodeWright because it was the standard at a PPOE. Previously, I used BRIEF because it was a standard at another employer. Seeing that Borland has purchased both of these, then killed them through neglect, you might want to avoid my next choice (whatever it is).

Before that was Unipress EMACS under VAX/VMS, CREDIT under ISIS, EDLIN under PC-DOS (NOT MS-DOS), and @ED under EXEC-8.

In the future, I might look at EMACS (let's see Borland buy that!) or JED

If I was in the mood to buy something, I'd look at SlickEdit and MultiEdit, and maybe DAC or Understand.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Check out Epsilon, then.

-- _ Kevin D. Quitt snipped-for-privacy@Quitt.net 96.37% of all statistics are made up

Reply to
Kevin D. Quitt

GVim is not that bad. Sure its not perfect, but I use it most often. Its small and its fast.

--

Wing Wong.
Reply to

On the other hand, maybe being a "piece of wombat do" is a *good* thing. Something similar certainly seems to work for coffee beans ...

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

It's just a piece of old humor left over from the vi vs. emacs editor wars years back. "Vi is a Piece of Wombat Do" was the name of a debate session at the 1985 UNIX User Group conference. The phrase made me smile and stuck in my head. If you deja-google my name and vi, you'll see I use it at every opportunity.

I really don't know enough about vi to defend or condemn it. Everything I know about vi I heard third-hand (e.g., "If you type "exit" at the command prompt, you will irrevocably destroy your entire document"). I've never seriously tried to use it. But I will admit to being a huge fan of EMACS back in the mid-1980s.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to
Dave Hansen

I had this conversation just last night. I had about 50 false starts with Emacs. I could get through the tutorial, but it still made no sense. Then I asked a guru to give me about an hour's overview, and that did it. That was 6 or 7 years ago.

I knew Emacs was the way to go since about 1989, because all the real Unix programmers used it. But I can't tell you how to get started if you don't have access to a guru.

The Cygwin version of XEmacs is just fine.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

Since I'm banging my drum:

epsilon -t

(teach mode)

--
#include
 _

"The Hessling Editor", an implimentation of the IBM XEDIT editor with enhancements. Full open source, so available for most OSes one might use to develop on. Uses REXX as it's script language.

Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Codewright still exists under borland, its not bad, better than the original. Has new age things like being able to right click an identifier in the source and get all cross references, etc.

I use old coderight, I didn't upgrade to Borlands because they broke the Brief emulation in several places.

Reply to
Scott Moore

Use the following procedure to delete a word of text: Hold down shift, control, Q, then hit - and Y with your nose.

Reply to
Scott Moore

Real men use Edlin

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Realer men use copy con.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Kevin was right, at least for systems supporting some kind of file system. It's teco. You can edit and hunt the wumpus at the same time. Of course, for truly serious editing under FAT systems, use DEBUG. You can edit pretty much everything under DOS, including boot sectors.

Those folks talking about JAVA and Windows based editors make me want to rise (creak) up out of my rocking chair to club them with my cane. They presume tens of megabytes of code floating around just to get the environment set up for their editor. Why... the day was when I edited code in RAM using front panel switches and debugged using an AM radio by my side to "hear" which routines were being executed. Finger calluses from heavy use of the metal bat handle switches, like you might get playing guitar, was a hazard of the day. Assembly was a mental process, as you coded directly in machine code, of course.

:)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan
[...]

Feh. "copy con: main.c"

Or "cat > main.c" if you have cygwin or some U*IX.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to
Dave Hansen

ConTEXT (windoze) and jed (*ix)

Reply to
Pete Gray

My computer ran on STEAM. And the mirrors were 2D and black-and-white back then, as can be clearly seen in any Marx Brothers film.

Now I whistle into my phone at 56Kbps, doing the trellis encoding in my head. I can decode audio and video files in real-time, but decrypting PGP files without the key slows me down a bit...

Reply to
Guy Macon

Of course, I wasn't being tongue in cheek in my writing, Guy. I really did do all those things, exactly as stated, and had the calluses on the fingers, as well, from the bat handles. When I saw the IMSAI, with those wide, plastic switch handles, I knew immediately the value of them for my poor fingers! (I also forget to mention, of course, that I typed using 7 switches and a push button, at times.)

Regarding your comment about modems, I really did whistle into the acoustic couplers to test communications! Honestly!

Used to fit entire and useful programs into 256 bytes, back then. I was truly in "high cotton" when I got my 4k dynamic cards working. An operating system I've written and use today, in fact, requires only a few bytes of RAM per process, provides compile-time selection for cooperative or preemptive processes, sleep queues, semaphore queues, a choice between singly-linked or doubly-linked queues (space conservation in very desperate circumstances where every byte counts), various forms of messaging, store and forward ring networking, and does all this in less than 4k of code and works on most any of the small 8-bit chips I work on. Only three tiny modules need be written in assembly -- global interrupt disable/restore functions, RTC timer code if needed, and the core task switch (small, usually easy to write.)

In any case, my point here is that it's not "tall tales." It's real, been there, done that kind of stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Whimp!

"copy con: main.exe" (using the Alt-Key combinations for binary encoding...)

;-)

-Zonn

--
Zonn Moore            Remove the ".AOL" from the
Zektor, LLC           email address to reply.

ConTEXT is also very good, I've used it also, but for windows, I still like gvim.

--

Wing Wong.
Reply to