looking for a god editor

hello group I am starting on a project where I use a compiler/linker without a workbench. Are there someone there can recommend a multi window editor. (freeware).

best regards Frank Mikkelsen

Reply to
Frank Mikkelsen

WRT SUBJECT LINE: God's doing the best He can. I don't think He'd appreciate being edited.

Some of these may not be free, but very inexpensive:

couldn't find the original "The Programmer's Editor:, but found this:

also

UltraEdit:

And I ran across this great list:

Rufus

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Rufus V. Smith

(X)Emacs.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Cheap and nice
Expensive and very nice

I've used both and like both, but Ultraedit works fine for just a fraction of the cost.

--
Greg Deuerling
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

Best regards,

Mostafa

------------------------------------------------------ Mostafa Kassem

Reply to: M DOT Kassem AT ieee DOT org

Mostafa Kassem

A nice and free one: Programmer's File Editor.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Editor for windows ? It's free !!!!

Giacomo

If you're willing to leave the gods out of this, you could use nedit

as a text editor.

It depends on your platform.

--
	mac the naïf
Reply to

Ditto. If you're looking to use this on MS Windows, see:

Haven't used the Windows port of XEmacs, but it's not been around for anywhere near as long as the port of GNU Emacs so may not be as stable.

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

There is programmers notepad on sourceforge. This project is quite active, hence you might have a chance to get your favourate features in this editor.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Notepad ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I wonder if he wants the source code for the universe as well?

uni-gcc -O2 -Wall universe.c -o everything, 0.0000000000000000000001% complete

Reply to
Geoff McCaughan

Hahahahha!

--
              Kind Regards from Terry
    My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Gentoo-1.4_rc2
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terry

We used CrEDIT, and ConTEXT - both of which are good, but they have become 'freezeware' as the Authors have moved onto more interesting things...

For replacements, so far, Syn Editor on sourceforge looks a good replacement. Pluses : The team there have added some features that were in CrEDIT/ConTEXT, and more are comming. Latest version has a wrapper, that seems to launch/capture 16 bit apps fine on Win2000, which could be relevent to this forum. Includes find in files.

Minuses : Highlighters are not in user-files (comming), and the tools/project/profiles scheme is a tad convoluted.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I always liked CodeWrite from Premia. See

Very powerful editor that can be used for a wide variety of languages, compilers, etc. Template editing, chroma coding, brace matching, GREP, etc.

-ZO

Reply to
ZO

Hi again I am only looking for the editor running under windows, with multiple windows, knowing the C syntax and possibility of integrating my own compiler/linker.

Frank

"Geoff McCaughan" skrev i en meddelelse news:nK95b.135601$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz...

complete

Reply to
Frank Mikkelsen

Gets my vote as well.

But it is now owned by borland

and is being used in the newer versions of their products.

They also bought togethersoft.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

I'd say Emacs is the one for you. C syntax highlighting, various customisable indentation schemes, ability to compile from within Emacs with outputs for various compilers capable of being parsed and hyperlinked etc...

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

Frank...

My personal favorite is nedit (needs an X server); but emacs is popular and available for many platforms. For MS/Win use I like gvim.

--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Morris Dovey

Not freeware but:

No one has mentioned Multi Edit - mind you I'm still using the DOS version.

And what's wrong with DOS?! :)

Mike Harding

PS. Actually I think there is a (cut down) freeware version?

Reply to
Mike Harding