Reasonably-Priced Small LCD Panel For Smallish Production Quantities

I'm looking to design a product that has a pretty LCD display. The LCD on my kid's Sony PSP (PlayStation Portable) would be perfect - but I'm finding that it would be cheaper to buy a PSP (US$170) and tear out the LCD than to buy the LCDs on their own (which I wouldn't do, of course!)

Does anyone have a source for small (but not tiny) and pretty color LCD displays that cost $50-$100 or so? I expect that we'll be doing shortish production runs, say, 100-200 at a clip.

Thanks!

Reply to
Alan Cohen

The short answer to your question is: 100-200 pieces is not production quantities, that is hobbyist usage, and if you're buying at hobbyist quantities you're buying through at least two layers of distribution and paying at LEAST 4x what a real manufacturer will pay - if you can even get the parts you want, which frequently isn't the case.

So your realistic options (besides cannibalism) are either to look at hobbyist sources, which will be intermittent and won't have long-term guarantees of availability, or look at surplus sources.

is one pretty major surplus supplier; while there are no absolute guarantees of longterm availability, using a big supplier is about as close as you'll get.

Reply to
cmcedwards

Game Park, the people who make the GP2X, must have a good source for their LCDs to be able to keep the product so cheap. There are a myriad of pictures of it with its back off all over the net so have a look and see if you can see any identifying marks on the panel.

Perhaps you could even find a contact within Game Park who can give you a pointer to a supplier. They won't tell you how much they pay for their screens but they can tell you who their distributor is (assuming they don't just go straight to the manufacturer).

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Try

. They have sub-$100 SVGA and WVGA 7" and 8" displays (offered me sample quantities, there was a $50 handling fee for orders < $500). Look pretty good to me (but I have not done any shopping there yet, only inquired - should be doing before too long, though).

Dimiter

Didi

have the same display

Best regards Tsvetan

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/
pcb)

That PSP LCD is $70 at Sparkfun. They also have a Nokia 6610 LCD for $20 which I've used. Check them out:

For black & white graphical LCD nothing beats the Nokia 3310 LCD from Jelu at only $9.50:

slebetman