Re: Source Code Control - summary

"Tom Lucas" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@iris.uk.clara.net...

What method/package would people recommend? I've read through the > "Alternatives to Visual Source Safe" thread from July and people there > seemed to advocate CVS/SVN and PVCS. Noone seems to like VSS.

Thanks for all your replies. It seems that opinions have not changed and so I shall be downloading Subversion and some Tortoises at the weekend to have a trial run of setting up a small versioning system. It would appear that I am also required to burn effigies of Bill Gates whilst chanting "Death to VSS."

Reply to
Tom Lucas

It's not required; it's simply the natural reaction of many who've been exposed. :)

Reply to
toby

I'm sure many of us will be happy to offer support in this forum if you have any questions. It's a powerful system and getting to know it takes a little while, but it's a positive learning curve - one gains respect for the product as one learns more about it.

I recommend getting a basic familiarity with the CLI tool, regardless of what GUI front-ends you also use: Some things are more quickly or easily done in CLI. And don't forget the CLI is fully scriptable when you have batch-type stuff to do in a repository (like removing 1,000 scattered vssver.scc files :).

I also recommend setting up a 'test' repository for you and your users to experiment on as a sandbox.

Reply to
toby

No need to chant - it will do it by itself.

Please get the Subversion book, from the Tigris website or, in dead-tree version, from O'Reilly.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Microsoft best practices recommends that you always burn your Bill Gates effigies outside.

-- Darin Johnson

Reply to
Darin Johnson