Rack mountable enclosures

I'm amazed I'm having this problem - I expected it to be a two minute flick through a catalogue - but I'm having difficulty finding rack mountable enclosures with removable rack ears.

This is for a job that could reasonably be expected to be rack mounted but then again perhaps not - it may end up as a desktop unit, so to cover both bases I figured on a rack enclosure and if you don't want to rack mount it, take off the brackets, stick on some rubber feet and away you go. Kind of like an awful lot of gear - routers, switches etc - that may be rack mountable but don't look out of place on the desktop once the mountings are off. However if seems that the instant you want a generic COTS enclosure they're all with permanently attached ears.

The project hasn't been rigidly sized up yet but I strongly suspect we're looking at a 2U 19" unit perhaps 300mm deep. Extra brownie points for removable front and rear panels since it makes cutting and drilling a lot easier. I know you always pay through the nose for anything rack mountable but I don't expect to pay much over £50 per unit tops in single quantity either.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Not that its much help to you, but as a consumer for that type of device who pays extremely close attention to rackmount case design for a wide range of devices..

I have yet to see any "standard" COTS design for any rack mount gear. Every design is very different, and definately custom each time for each of the networking type gear boxes we get in.

While its probably not all too bad to engage a sheet metal firm to design the right sized box, with removable ears, and powder coat to your color, I'm sure its probably more hassel than you were expecting..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Something like these?

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

A little chauvinism here:

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

I know Winsystems.com has had lots of custom rackmount stuff in the past. Some enclosed, some with old backplane systems.

When I worked in the oil wireline biz, we had rackmounted stuff but each module was on 'drawer slides' and the ears stayed on the rack. basically, each unit slid out and was removable by pressing a couple of retaining buttons. Not pretty on the bench with the slides on the side but it worked well enough.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

They look great, thanks. A lot pricier than I was looking for but I suppose that what's going to have to be paid unless something else comes up.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

For an alternative try-