Prototyping LCD with FFC connector without creating PCB?

Does anyone know of a ready source adapters to convert FFC (0.5mm pitch) 30 pin to (something a little larger) to aid in prototyping?

Reply to
John Harlow

If by FFC you mean Flat Foil Connector/Cable, then I doubt there is a ready source. In my experience every LCD means another different connector.

Whenever I had to evaluate new LCDs, I nearly always found that a good supplier/distributor of LCDs would be able to provide some form of cable to go from the particular LCD to open end cable or something different. I would then make the open end of the cable terminate in a connector to suit the 40way standard connector on our controllers.

--
Paul Carpenter		| paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk
        Main Site

Faced with a similar problem, I bought the socket for the FFC, glued it down with epoxy to a piece of scrap Veroboard, and soldered wire-wrap wire to the pins, whereby I brought the signals to a 100 mil header.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I tried something like that; after spending several tedious hours assembling the whole thing and finding out I had a single short from a solder wicking between 2 contacts (and can't get to it), I'd had enough.

Reply to
John Harlow

Several hours on a 30-pin connector?? Something's wrong with this picture. Try a different technique. Use magnification and tweezers as you work. It helps if you gently bend alternate pins a few degrees up and down. Glue down the wire-wrap wires with hot-melt as you get them soldered, so they don't wiggle..

I was using Hirose's Flip-Lock type connector, the Digi-Key part# for the 30-pin variant is HFJ30CT-ND.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Yes. Itron make a very thin PCB with various ffc pitch patterns, which can be cut down to size.

may be available via Newark in the US

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Thanks, all, for the replies. The LCD rep has a fairly expensive adapter card which I went ahead and bought. I figure I'll save time and frustration using something which already works.

Reply to
John Harlow