OT: Solar power

Hi all,

Does any one know where I can get information regarding the sunlight hours etc for the UK, and how to use this information to calculate the solar panel and battery requirements to power a site.

Thanks Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant

Ross,

Try

James T. White
Reply to
James T. White

Thanks James, 'insolation' was the google search term I was missing. I found a good site for the calculations too:

Ross.

Reply to
Ross Marchant

I would first do searches and enquiries at the Met Office in the UK at , however I do beleive that this is not one of standard measurements they make. Often the sunlight hours is mainly recorded at resort towns (Blackpool, Bournemouth etc..) for tourism data. They have archives and libraries going back a LOT of years and are involved with long term climate prediction.

So I don't know how reliable the coverage or age of the data will be. You might not get a full years worth of data, but half the year only.

Good luck with your searches.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Really?

I would have thought that this was the sort of data that could be quite valuable to people looking to install solar powered stuff and as most of the user are commercial they would all be prepared to pay for it. I would be suprised if they hadn't worked out that there is a market for it

tim

Reply to
tim (moved to sweden)

Temperature, cloud cover, rain, sleet, snow, wind, have always been part of their remit at all their monitoring stations, even from the days that it was part of the Air Ministry then the Ministry of Defence. Hours of sunlight or sunlight strength have been more recent measurements firstly from tourist industry who often set up their own measurements the later solar industry is a much much newer thing.

Therefore how accurate the coverage and history time span of the data is something I would question before buying any data from them.

Paul Carpenter