Emulator/programmer for TI TMS320F2812 DSP.

Looking for recommendations on a JTAG programmer / emulator for a product under development.

The target processor is a TI TMS320F2812 DSP, and the software is written using TI's Code Composer's Studio V2.2

Thanks,

Roberto Waltman.

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

You could try

But hey I know the bloke, so it is a biased recommendation

regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tweddle

On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:23:33 -0400, Roberto Waltman wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

We've been using Spectrum Digital XDS510PP+ on a large project for quite some time now. This is the emulator that TI sells in packaged kits with Code Composer Studio.

Early on we had some of them develop problems. When we sent them back to Spectrum Digital, they always fixed and returned them quickly, and free, but we were starting to get seriously concerned about their reliability until they told us what the problem was.

The connector on the end of the ribbon connector that plugs into the JTAG header on the board does not have any strain relief, and the way we need to twist it to get it to plug into some of our boards in the actual system was breaking the wires.

Since we took off the original connectors and put on our own, with strain relief, we haven't had any problems at all with any of the ones we have (we have several) in more than a year.

In addition to development, there is a free add-in for Code Composer Studio that allows programming flash from the CCS IDE.

This model requires a parallel port, which is something we still have on all our laptops that we use for debugging. No problem through 25 feet of parallel cable.

They also have a USB version of the same emulator, which is more expensive, but we haven't tried it so I can't comment.

If you are going to use this emulator there is something you might be able to do with your PC board layout that will make life easier. If you have +5 volt supply on your board, route this to the Vcc pin on the JTAG connector instead of the +3.3 volt supply. The emulator can run off your board's power if you give it five volts on that pin. If you give it 3.3 volts, you need to plug the wall wart power supply into the emulator.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Thanks for the replies, will take a look at both products.