[OT-ish] It's Spring, when a young man's thoughts turn to

I think this is already in progress, state by state at first. You don't say if you agree. But that's fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

It posted it for YOU. Know something before you see it, eh? Hurrah! It has some facts despite his hideous voice. Did your wife have the French system at hand when she gave birth? I know... you're going to jingle your big ring of keys and swan about the place - big men have big money and all the stupident (c)Vlad ideas.

Reply to
Duplic

A country doesn't care for its people, if they don't make money then they're not worth saving. That's the way forward, what's the worst that can happen? "Let the beast die."

LOL

As those DSP people, get them outa the back room and into politics I say!

Reply to
Duplic

Once again you show your IQ.

"It has some facts". Wonderful. Just wonderful.

You've totally lost it. Check into the mental health facility near you *NOW*. At least they might be able to save those around you.

Reply to
krw

How about the people "caring" for themselves, rather than forcing their neighbor to pay for their existence? The "beast" is (the federal) government.

You are a loon. Seek help!

Reply to
krw

Its no wonder why the European Governments had to disarm all their insane citizens. :(

Michael A. Terrell

You are assuming that regulation does not benefit regulated businesses or their customers in any way, so the cost of compliance is the only factor. I really don't think that is a given.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

So if you can't afford the surgery, then you deserve to die.

Why, thank-you kind sir! Excellent indeed.

Reply to
Duplic

You criticise things you haven't seen -typical, model citizen in the making.

Brilliant, and it won't cost me a thing.

Hmmmmm guns.... *rolls eyes*

Sure. ^ ^ ^ : )

Reply to
Duplic

No it isn't--you make a common, but wrong assumption. People can die for reasons that have nothing to do with medical care.

For example, if you exclude the effect murders & car crashes the USA has arguably the longest life expectancy of any western nation.[1][2]

So, by this measure the US has a murder problem, not a medical care problem. (Would better medical care prevent murders? Nope.)

Since suicides and murders are so often young people, they drag down the average life expectancy disproportionately.

OTOH the leading medical killers of Americans are significantly obesity-related.[3][4] If you eat your way to a heart attack, you're not going to live as long, it's just that simple. And doctors can only patch, not fix it--dead muscle doesn't come back.

So, life expectancy is the populist's measure of medical care, but it's ill-informed.

Similar caveats apply to the infant mortality stats--demographics and lifestyle choices give us /many/ more high-risk births, and we count deaths that other countries don't.

Cheers, James Arthur

~~~~~~~~ [1]

"In The Business of Health, Robert Ohsfeldt and John Schneider factor out intentional and unintentional injuries from life-expectancy statistics and find that Americans who don?t die in car crashes or homicides outlive people in any other Western country."

[2] Suicide was the 11th leading cause of death in 2006; murder was the 15th leading cause (Centers for Disease Control). [3] Cardiovascular disease #1, stroke #3, diabetes #7. Also--certain cancers, hypertension, kidney failure, and other complications. [4] Here's a handy chart:
[5] A decent overall discussion:
James Arthur

False, obviously. For what our government spends on Medicare (and poor, but generally healthy kids), other governments manage to cover their entire populations. ~1/3rd vs. 100%

How is that efficient?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

No, I really can't find your intelligence.

Reply to
krw

Stupid beyond belief.

Do seek help. You need it.

Reply to
krw

Yikes! Buddah help them if they are so desperate as to ask even Terrellable. If they don't pay attention in class, why should they be different on usenet? Mike, I know you are ubiquitous and can't shut up but... Do you ever post ANYTHING helpful reguarding technology?

Maybe the help requests are just a new form of spam based on frequent posters.

Reply to
xray