OT: Howto Carry old nntp thread

Hello,

I have something to say for this [

] but really can't find a way to follow-up. I just see "reply to author " or "forward " and "report spam " options.

And I ask. If you are able to see the link above mentioned then please do share your reader details. I am writing this with google interface.

regards, ali

Reply to
Ali

The "above link" is an HTTP link. So, the "reader" in question is Firefox (in my case; IE perhaps, in yours?).

Use a *real* news client (even Tbird, in my case) and a *real* news service -- instead of google!

Reply to
Don Y

I did try for Thunderbird real long time ago.

I am fine and happy with google's interface since they got hold on Deja News servers. IIRC, it was fine to touch the old thread while ago but somehow not anymore.

regards, ali

Reply to
Ali

I would assume that it is simply too old now - the oldest post in that thread was over two months ago. After a while if there is something new to say then you should start a new thread since you can't assume people will remember the details by that point, and the old messages will probably have expired from most news servers by that point.

I'm not aware of any rigid convention as to how long you have to respond to a thread before it is considered "dead" - I've seen people suggest a week which may be on the short side, but at the other extreme after a month I think it is certainly the case.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Does it depends on server to server? If there is no real life-time of given post then thats the only thing I can think!

regards, ali

Reply to
Ali

Yes, Google Groups prevents users from responding to old threads. Anything else doesn't care. Especially if you use your own usenet client.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

It's up to the local adminstrator, so yes. It could be three days on one server (very strict) or 90 days on another (very slack). It could even be defined in terms other than age; e.g. the news archive will consume no more than X gb.

Google will keep posts for a _long_ time but that is part of the added value of their service, so you can search it rather than take part in it: if you find a post from 1985 or whenever that you want to comment on a straight reply is not the way to do it. The line has to be drawn somewhere and for an active _discussion_ (not archival) medium it has to be kept fairly recent.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

To reply to an outdated post/thread from Google Groups:

1) Click *More options* in that post

2) Ctrl-Click *Show original* (The page that appears will have ?dmode=source in its URL.)

3) Start a new thread with a title in the form [your new title here] (was: if else Vs ternary)

4) Find the line in the dmode=source page that says Message-ID:

Cut and paste that into the start of your new post and alter it to be in the form news:mv-dncsp6Yo320jQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com

5) Cut and paste whatever context you need from the old post.

6) Carry on as usual.

As has been mentioned, a real newsreader and a real NNTP provider present fewer hurdles to jump.

Reply to
JeffM

ter.com

Hello,

No idea what you are upto. Let say I have this [

e531ca39ae67# ] to carry. Please do HellowWorld and share how did you manage.

regards, ali

Reply to
Ali

Ali wrote:

I cannot imagine how I can make it any more clear.

Reply to
JeffM

my bad;-)

Reply to