ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ah, but what can you use *graphically* to represent each machine (i.e., the equivalent of icons)? I just chase down cartoons and cut the character in question out of the scene to make mine! ;-)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

They are easy to spot, with that glazed look on their face all the time.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Actually, it is 'Church of God, of Cleveland Tennessee'.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just use text names. It's fun when someone else has to do some research to find the next computer name, in the proper order. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sure, but their Bibles don't have all 78 books (for Orthodox, 73 for Romans).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

... and no hands on the steering wheel...

Reply to
D Yuniskis

That's nothing new. Hell, some drivers can't even see over the dash. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't think that will be a problem. The 150 A main breaker would trip, long before I get that many on the network. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My neighbor sits on a pillow while driving!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

And uses big rubber bands to hold wood bocks on all the pedals? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some Fords have adjustable petals. In fact, my wife's car has them, though they've never been moved from the fully extended position.

Reply to
krw

Not only is he stupid, he is also getting senile.

Stupid? Yes. You buy Fords.

Senile? Yes. The word is pedal, idiot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Well it looks like Google was actually testing their patented technology "by mistake".

hamilton

"You must be *this* tall to ride this ride"

Hmmm... I should ask her. Though I'd best stay out of arm's reach when I *do* so! :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I like the pretty pictures. I look at a screen and I know what it's connected to (most of my monitors talk to at least two machines -- X Terminals talk to *many*).

What's the right order for machines?

I lump similar machines into similar naming schemes. E.g., portables begin with 'P' (except for Pinky). Sun boxen are Jetson's. etc.

And, within a group, the names imply a certain pecking order (e.g., George before Jane, Fred before Barney, etc.) that either clues me in to the type of machine, it's role or, push comes to shove, it's IP address.

(as I said in another thread, the human brain really

*wants* to impose order on things :< )

I guess if I were to use a biblical theme -- *and* remembered any of that stuff -- I'd do the "begats" :> Though that would be problematic when I retired/replaced a host :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Definitely out of punching range, if she's THAT short! ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The date they are added to the network. :)

No, you would just replace the retired machine with their child, until you run out of begats.

Then there is always Psalms. :)

I have been working to update and organize a small network at a friend's business. They had randomly named computers after the employees. They will be named by location, along with all the printers, and network printers. All except one of the new computers. It is going into the shipping department for the electronic scale & UPS label printer. The guy that does their welding is named Skip, and he used to handle shipping as well, so we're going to call it 'Skipping' just to see how long it takes him to notice. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or, wear a *cup*!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I haven't been able to come up with a *good* way to name resources. If you live in a Windows-only world, you can add commentary to qualify a name:

"1200dpi, very large format, color printer in workshop" "SB1000 under Solaris 10 in garage"

etc. But, if you *just* live with names, you either need

*few* machines to keep track of *or* some other mnemonic (even the HINFO data from DNS isn't always easily accessible)

I like graphics as I can associate an image/name with a type of activity that I perform with that "device".

Name one "Broken" and see if anyone *tries* to use it! ;-)

Reply to
D Yuniskis