OT: Google cars caught snooping

There are times when I run an open access point to work on computers. If I notice someone else trying to use it, I add their MAC address to the banned list. That flashing 'Wireless' light comes in handy when I turn on that AP. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Like 'your company' is in the process of buying 'their employer', to gut and close their doors for good?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course! But, here (US) we are *constantly* faced with folks citing "technicalities" (e.g., "I did NOT have 'sexual relations' with that woman"!)

And, since all you can be *prosecuted* for is violations of the *law*... :-/

From my limited contact with folks on the other side of the pond, it seems like the Germans are a bit more "sticklers" (certainly than folks over here are!)

"The Public" (at least *here*) won't care. Most are ignorant of any potential consequences of this sort of behavior. Those that can *imagine* the consequences, probably already see enough "conspiracies" that this will just be one more...

"Think before acting" would save lots of folks hassles down the road :-/

E.g., I *rarely* use my access point. It's powered down most of the time. Easier to just drag a long cable down the hallway to whichever room I'm in (even easier than finding the nearest WALL TAP! :> )

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Ya think?! Imagine what they could snag if they were there intending to do harm. ;-)

Reply to
krw

That would certainly be good for a laugh.

Reply to
krw

That depends on who's computer they hit.

Dimbulb's would be full of pictures of him, pretending he's important.

Sloman's would have him as queen of the EU.

Joerg's would be full of exploding parts.

D from B C would be full of nonsense.

Mine would be full of utility software & drivers for the computers I work on.

:)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And a lot of wastec cell phone minutes while trying to get conformation, along with lots of resumes being sent out. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course, it cuts both ways. Run an open unsecured wifi site, and there's a good chance you can pick up some interesting stuff from those who want to freeload off it. Particularly if you run man-in-the-middle attacks on encrypted traffic (how many users would just click OK when they get the warning?).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else
[%X]

Not sure that they could achieve that speed in many places. Judging by the views from Verona for example, it seems to have taken them a while to travel down one of the streets as there was the usual quite intense traffic queue.

If people are concerned over their privacy they should really learn to lock things down. WiFi kit manufacturers could help by drawing peoples attention to the set-ups for this in some way.

Paul E. Bennett...............
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E. Bennett

age

=A0I

I'm not a lawyer, but..... In the US, the Internet is regulated as a Title-1 Service. Telecom is Title-2. The latter being much more heavily regulated. There is a push at the FCC right now to reclassify the Internet (data services) under Title-2, with some forbearances. This, after the FCC's loss to Comcast in Federal District Court over blocking peer-to-peer traffic like BitTorrent.

I have my Skype account outfitted with the Pamela Call Recorder plug- in. It has a checkbox asking if I want to enable an outbound call recording message and beep on any calls I record. One would think (or maybe not?), that if Skype recorded calls were regulated the same as a POTS call, then this checkbox would not be optional. (?)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

it. =A0If

web site

they

ave

do

The irony is, given Google's populatiry as a search engine, most of what they'd collect would be Google search term hits. A weird, circular marketing research effort if ever there was one....

Reply to
mpm

"

th it. =A0If

d web site

, they

have

to do

rs I

They are not stupid. Obviously they have not been after marketing data, they have more of that than they can process.

Reply to
Didi

They even snuck a cookie into Firefox despite the fact that cookies are turned off and their domain is not under exemptions. Wonder how that works.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Because this software can be used in many different jurisdictions.

In my state of the US, only single party consent is required to record a conversation. Therefore I can record my conversations with no notification to the other end. What I cannot do without consent is record conversations between two other people where I am not a party to the conversation.

However in many states it is required to obtain consent from all parties.

In other countries the law varies.

In exactly the same way, in some countries it is legally required that cellphone cameras make an audible shutter sound that cannot be disabled even in "silent" profiles.

Reply to
larwe

You may want to be a little more careful with generalizations from one country to the rest of the world, there.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

... which just might be illegal for _all_ of them to do.

The fallacy here is to assume that if something unwanted happens, there can only be _one_ culpable party. Sometimes all parties involved did something wrong.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

I think they were interested in the data which would allow unique identification of the traffic from particular hot spot.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DUH! Don't use a wireless device with any critical information. PERIOD.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

d have

I extend that here to "don't allow access to critical information to any non-controlled software". Meaning neither windows nor linux ever get a chance to access files I deem critical (say, sources which would demonstrate algorithms I know my competitors can't figure out, e.g. those in the hi-spec module DSP).

But if I catch someone snooping behind my door I may be tempted to kick the door to his nose - and he'll be deservedly punished :-).

The fact that most of the information they have gathered is garbage does not change the fact that they have been spying. Spies must be doing a lot of sifting through garbage quite routinely, it is a part of the job.

Dimiter

Didi

How do you define "critical"? Bank account information? SSN?

What about a list of the items you have recently purchased (which, over time, becomes a quite comprehensive list of your purchases!)? Do you think *that* is sensitive?

"Hmmm... this medicine (OTC *or* prescription) is typically used for these medical conditions. The uses for this *other* one overlap in such a way to suggest *this* is the disease/condition actually being treated..."

What about your video rentals? Or, "cable" viewing practices? Or public library activity?

The problem is that you can look at these little bits of information and dismiss them as unimportant. But, in aggregate, they can speak

*volumes*.

And, for someone (e.g. a business) with a deliberate *goal* that involves "you" (plural), it's easy to deduce information from those little "bits" -- information that can be spot on in terms of accuracy.

I chuckle when I watch a new grocery store come to town and set up one of their "membership card" programs: "sign up for extra discounts"! Historically, the discounts go away. Yet, you're now in the habit of using that card and they are figuring out how to use that information... TO GET MORE MONEY FROM YOU! (what *other* reason do you think they have???)

Sure, they aren't extorting money. But, they are playing on behaviors that you aren't even aware of in your spending habits and exploiting those to *their* advantage:

"If we put ice cream on sale, he will purchase these high profit margin other items which he would NEVER purchase, otherwise. Net result, we make more money (i.e., he *loses* more money!)"

[N.B. the same is true if you regularly use a credit card for your purchases... even better than a "membership card" as it is *very* unique to you!]

(No, this isn't paranoia. This is just common sense -- if you think about it for more than a few femtoseconds... :> )

The point is, you should treat *all* information with care.

I "solve" the problem by only allowing one machine to talk to the outside world -- this one -- and it has nothing on it that I need to "protect". I have an image of the disk "as installed" and can restore the machine to that state in

30 minutes (in case of an "infestation"), etc. I don't reveal any of my email addresses in places where they can be exploited, etc.

And, it doesn't prevent me from doing what I want to do -- just imposes some discipline on *how* I do it.

Again, you might *think* it is garbage, but...

Yup. "Trash", here, is not protected as "private property". I.e., you could act as the "garbage man" and pick up trash and sift through it at your leisure.

(*using* many of the things that you come across in that trash might be illegal -- but, that doesn't stop you from *knowing*/learning them!)

We, for example, confetti shred anything with any sort of identifying information on it -- name, address, etc. The only stuff that goes in the recycle bin are things like grocery store advertisements (delivered to every home), etc. Even that "special offer" to *select* Unobtainium Card Holders carries information!

Jury Duty is a blatantly obvious case of how people have learned to exploit "bits" of information to their advantage. How to improve their odds at predicting your behavior in the jury box and, hopefully, enhancing their potential outcome! Without ever *asking* you anything pointed.

Reply to
D Yuniskis