Need Your Feedback...Hope You'll Help

I hope this isn't spamming or obnoxious. I hate to intrude on a subject specific board with something off-topic, but what better place to find embedded engineers that a users group? I work for a technical book publisher (we have a list dedicated to embedded systems). My job is to get the word out about these books and I'm looking for a little feedback about the best way to do this.

I would be so thankful to hear any feedback someone would be willing to provide. I'd even be happy to offer you a free book. I don't want to say the name of my company, lest people think I'm an trying to get free exposure for it. But if you want to send me an e-mail with your feedback, I can give you details of our web site and you can let me know which book you would like in exchange for your valuable market feedback.

So to the point...which magazines do you read? EDN, Embedded Systems Programming, Circuit Cellar? Where do you buy books -- trade shows, Amazon, your local bookstore? Where do you hear about books -- word of mouth, ads in magazines, direct mail? Any other feedback is welcome.

Thanks and have a great day!

E-mail is merrit snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Tara

Hello Tara,

Fair enough.

But's it's ok to mention your employer, gives you more credibility with the folks.

EDN, EETimes, usually but not a lot. Data sheets with the hard facts and no marketing glitz are much more 'entertaining' for us. Ok, I am not always an embedded guy. Sometimes yes, but mostly analog circuitry (where I work with embedded folks). Got to wear many hats these days.

Whoever has the best price or, sometimes, free shipping w/o having to order other stuff to get over a minimum. I usually buy through IEEE because of the discounts. Sometimes I order through a local bookstore like Borders, one that is the least amount of miles away from here. Sometimes (overseas) I ordered through really local ones that carry novels and classics but no tech books at all. They look really puzzled when this stuff arrives, like if I was Einstein. "And you really understand all that math in there?"

Here on Usenet, a lot :-)

Sometimes in IEEE listings. Often I come across a book after looking for some technical information via a Google search. Not through those 'paid clicks' but when it is mentioned as reference in other (free) publications.

To be honest, nowadays the most valuable technical information does not originate from books but from free sources on the web. Kind of technical Wikis or web sites of folks like those that contribute right here to several news groups. Also from application notes, especially when it comes to "the" staple of the embedded world, the micro controller.

Same to you.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg