Need DSP Board with Ethernet and Audio

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an SBC with on-board 100Mbps Ethernet, a stereo 16-bit, 48-kHz audio codec, and a DSP for MP3 encoding/decoding. Available software libraries for a TCP/IP stack and MP3 codec would be a bonus. I'm currently only in the research stage, so I'm not tied to any particular processor. As far as DSP speed is concerned, I'm not quite sure. The device will need to be capable of encoding a stereo audio feed and streaming it to a remote computer in real-time. Does anyone know of any companies that manufacture such a board? I've tried searching on Google, but I've found it difficult to get results based on my specifications. Are there any other sites I could use to find a board with these specifications?

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Okay Alex

audio

a TCP/IP

Why does it have to be a DSP? If you just want to encode an MP3 stream onto Ethernet, you can use a general-purpose SBC.

Reply to
larwe

Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations on a general-purpose SBC?

Reply to
Okay Alex

Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this stage of the game, I'd suggest using whatever spare PC you have lying about. Otherwise look at one of the Eden-based SBCs like EBC-3610 from

or the equivalent product (the part# eludes me) from Advantech.

Reply to
larwe

Any of these boards cost under 100 USD? If not I rather get one from Soekie.com

Sam.

Reply to
bsder

What will you get from them for $100 that has the necessary peripherals and the required CPU horsepower to encode MP3 audio in realtime?

Reply to
larwe

I'm not really playing around at this point, I'm just doing the initial research for a commercial product we plan on creating. I'm trying to find out what's available for our application, so I can determine the cheapest/easiest/quickest solution(s). It seems like the Eden-based SBCs from BCM would be overkill. I'm looking for a fairly minimalist baord containing as few "extras" as possible. By that, I mean that I don't need a ton of memory, USB, wireless, firewire, IDE, Compact Flash, or any of those features. I really just need a microcontroller with enough power for real-time MP3 encoding and a TCP/IP stack, an AC97 codec, ethernet, and a UART. Although I was initially considering using ucLinux, I'm starting to think that an OS might not even be necessary and may needlessly increase my hardware requirements. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Alex

Reply to
Okay Alex

research for a

available for our

seems

I don't

those

The problem is that if you buy an off-the-shelf board with enough CPU horsepower to do your bulk task, these extras are going to come along for the ride, because most users of such boards require them. If you want something that has _exactly_ what you need and no more, you'll need to custom-build it. This is why I asked if you are playing about.

As a prototype for a commercial product, you can prove the design concept and perhaps much of the software on an overkill SBC. You can then develop your real hardware platform, or contract the development out.

not even be

or

You really don't want to be reinventing wheels like a TCP/IP stack. De facto or de jure, you're going to be running an OS on this device.

Reply to
larwe

I think there is some really cool stuff going on with the Blackfin.

There is a low cost board called the stamp and it can be used with all the free stuff (compile, debug, uClinux) until your application needs something more (or less, depending on how you look at it).

ADSP-BF533 STAMP -

the board is about 1 >> Depends on your form factor. If you are just playing around at this

Reply to
Sonic

Or the opensource hardware blackfin stamp

500MHz BF533 + 128MB ram + ethernet
BF533
BF537 Very good for the BF533 US$170 from digikey.com audio module is a bit pricey at US120 but the whole thing works well (got one sitting on the desk here)

Try one online (doesn't have audio hooked up)

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Is there any SBC under 100 USD? I just need 1 or 2 functions, eg. firewall, dhcpd and routing.

Sam

Reply to
bsder

And audio I/O and enough processing power to handle the MP3 encoding. No, you are not going to meet this price target with a COTS board.

Reply to
larwe

"Okay Alex" skrev i meddelandet news:URqcf.6225$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Not sure about the Encoding performance of an ARM7, but otherwise the AT91SAM7X256 could be a good choice. There are ARM versions of MP3 from Spirit, and plenty of TCP/IP stacks.

You need to run an I2S codec, not AC97. Next step up in the Atmel ARM family, would be an AT91RM9200.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson