National Semi lays off Bob Pease

They are either broke or desperate beyond measure...

Jim Stewart

Or he's gotten to the point where his stories of his VW bug and his hiking expeditions are more valuable to EDN than to National.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Thats too simplistic.

The value Bob Pease brings with his stories is the spirit of problem solving and creative thinking. This is something engineering schools haven't figured out how to "teach" and/or haven't recognized the need for. Who else would drag an old chest of drawers into his office, fill it with known resistors, and proclaim it to be the National Bureau of Standards? :-)

I doubt Bob will have any problems finding a job, if he wants one. Doubt he will have any financial problems. Doubt he will have any problems finding things to do for entertainment. And seriously doubt we have heard the last of him.

Reply to
David Kelly

Geez, that has to be one of the worst public relations moves NS could make among the people who specify (or don't) their parts, the engineering community.

Guess we better make personal copies of this page:

I saw the high-power LED driver video a wile back, it seemed Bob was there as a well-known figurehead and host to interoduce the others rather then provide any technical info himself.

Very true. I have "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits" and have read many if not most of his columns over the years, and when he's on a technical topic (which admittedly has been rarer in recent years) I always learn something.

He may have to do that again, this time naming it something like the Analog Design Bureau of Standards.

Or perhaps his new employer would like to fund an Institute for Standards and Technology.

I saw him a couple of times back around 2000 and 2002 when he was "on tour" with National. His most memorable (at least to me) line was "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."

Reply to
Ben Bradley

No, it's making up blather when faced by a deadline. He rarely says anything interesting about electronics any more.

I could write about hikes I took 40 years ago, too.

John