My Favorite Editor is the Butterfly, What's Yours?

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

XEDIT. Followed by xx by Blair Thompson,

Of course in my day we used to defrag hard disks by editing the inodes by hand, with magnets. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, we had it *tough*... (Vale Tim Brooke Taylor)

--
Cheers,

Chris
Reply to
Chris

TECO. Before these newfangled hard disks.

--
Best wishes,
--Phil
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Martel

5 channel paper tape, before these newfangled interactive terminals.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep - small edits with a hand punch.

I learned reading the Elliott 803 error messages from the hole patterns.

--

-TV
Reply to

Deleting a character was trivial, inserting one usually required cut and tape.

There was the aggravation of figuring out whether a particular 5-bit code was "in" letter or figure shift.

I strongly recommend visiting TNMoC, at sometime in the indefinite future, to see and hear a working 803. And to discuss its implementation with the staff, while looking at the schematics :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

May its name be cursed :)

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

My 28-year-old son is a confirmed VIM bigot. Editor loyalties clearly aren't hereditary. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Reason almost doesn't factor into choice of editors anyway. :) For its day, XEDIT was pretty great.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Not VIM, real VI. VIM is merely a reasonable substitute on Windows platform s.

Enjoy, ed

Reply to
Ed Prochak

I never did that with hard disks, but as a 6th former I /did/ do the equivalent with paper tape using one of these:

But I only had 5 channel paper tape. I thought I'd left the abomination of letter-shift figure-shift back in the bad old days.

Then android/iphone touch screens resurrected the concept :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

AFAIK no distro ships any VI other than VIM.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The repair kit is too complicated: We used plain sticky tags to connect the tape ends and punched the missing holes with the hand punch like that in the repair kit.

--

-TV
Reply to

Distro of what? Debian Linux includes at least elvis-tiny and nvi.

Personally I prefer Emacs.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

I misspoke mildly. Ed was wanting vanilla VI, which AFAICT nobody ships anymore.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

yes, and I miss it. VIM is a reasonable substitute. EMACS to me seemed like learning the piano. so many keystrokes!. Ed

Reply to
Ed Prochak