Need more battery capacity

I have been working on my drone, which has many improvements over the "off the shelf" drones. I am nearly ready to fly my drone to the moon, and plan to be the first drone to land on the moon.

But I have run into a problem. I cant seem to find any lightweight batteries capable of making the trip. I need more battery capacity, but it must be lightweight.

I do have solar panels onboard to recharge the batteries, but due to weight limitations, I can not use enough solar panels to keep up with battery drain. However, once on the moon, given several days, the batteries will be fully recharged for the return trip.

Reply to
dronelab

snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just wait until you figure out what the word "atmosphere" means.

Maybe you should eat a loaf or two of moldy rye bread. Tell us about your trip.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why can't you pause in mid-flight to charge the batteries? As you ascend the Earth's gravity weakens reducing the drain on the batteries. If you stop ascending, at some point you should be able to charge the batteries again. Then resume your flight.

In fact, you will reach a point where the gravity of the Earth and Moon are equal and from then on you will need to fight the much weaker gravity of the Moon. I bet you can land with nearly full batteries.

I think instead of lighter batteries, you need lighter solar cells.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Uuuuh huh. How does it get lift?

More specifically, how does it get lift when the air gets too thin for props to bite?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Some people are so literal.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes, literally!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

On a sunny day (Thu, 08 Aug 2019 20:09:51 -0500) it happened snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote in :

Air? not in space and not on the moon.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, there's your answer - your error is in using /solar/ panels to charge the batteries. Your drone is going to the moon, right? So you need /lunar/ panels. The nearer you get to the moon, the brighter the light, and the better the charging.

But don't go for cheap panels - spend a little bit more and get some which are more than 100% efficient. That'll mean you can cut down on battery weight, too, as you can drive the drone's motors directly from the panels and charge the batteries at the same time.

--

Jeff
Reply to

...but the solar cells are lit by the sun..

Reply to
Robert Baer

And be sure to shape the lunar panels so they double as the propellers.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Maybe once in space you should switch to ion propulsion. (Or was it iron propulsion, using the magnetosphere; I'm unclear about that...)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Jeff Layman wrote in news:qij4s5$8fr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And that, folks, was the layman response. Just wait until the pros chime in. ;-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Clive Arthur wrote in news:qij9uk$v9t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You spelled loonar wrong.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Mike Coon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.plus.net:

Obviously. You are supposed to use CLEAR iron.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

So a slow night ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote

Consider using a rubber band launcher. Remember to lead target though, the moon will move and if you do not lead target then you will fly away into space.

Tom

Reply to
Major Tom

Major Tom wrote in news:qijvh5$1p8b$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

Come back and try again on the return trip aboard Haley's comet.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Since the OP attempted humor, maybe it is ironic propulsion.

Neither works.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Netherworks. Travelling through the nether is like travelling through the ether.

It should be a nethercraft. Travels on strings of dark matter. No batteries required.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Obviously (based on

it utilizes dark-matter squirrel power.