multi-record file

Hi,

Let me begin by describing my problem. I am building a remote flash-disk (FAT12) based embedded system for recording data. The data recording events are initiated by the user who will communicate with the recorder using TCP/IP. It has been decided that we'll use a single file to record all the data. The problem is however that when we want to retrieve data, we dont want to retrieve the entire file but rather a list of a all recordings in the file. From this list I then want to select which recording I want to retrieve.

I have thought about doing this in much the same way as a FAT. I want to create one large flat file which I'll split into data clusters. I then in the same way as writing to a hard disk, want to write the data to these clusters. When I read and search through the records, I want to be able to read the records and then return only that which I want. This is a sort of "virtuall FAT" I suppose. For now I need to be able to do only recordings and then recall a specific recording if needed.

My problem is however that I dont know where to start. Is there anyone out there who's done something similar or could anyone point me to some info which might be usefull?

Kind regards.

Reply to
Amigo
[...]

This sounds like a conflict between goal and design, to me. Why invent a second, FAT-like layer, when you've already got a FAT book-keeping system right there in front of you?

With the given usage in mind, the decision to do it all inside a single, flat file contained on a FAT filesystem seems self-contradictory.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Look up the source code for the LBR format, extensive used on CP/M systems. The utilities used include lu and lar. These were written in C, and are available. The format is defined in LUDEF5 (.htm). You probably aren't interested in sources in assembly language. Get thee to google.

--
"I'm a war president.  I make decisions here in the Oval Office
 in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." -         Bush.