Microprocessor suggestion please

Hi, all

I am after a microprocessor for a new project. Main criteria -- must be able to run Linux (e.q. there is a Linux port for it) and have built-in Ethernet. On-chip USB (slave) is a definite advantage.

The only chip I found is the one from Motorola, but it only comes in BGA package. Since I will have to build first prototypes manually, this is not a good choice.

Any other sugegstions?

If I will not find one, I will have to go for micro and external Ethernet controller, but i prefer an integrated solution.

Thanks, Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf Ladyzhenskii

How about the Motorola and a BGA socket ?

able

Ethernet.

Gary Pace

developer.axis.com.

Have used the ETRAX100LX in a dual processor custom board. I like it.

100Mbit ethernet. USB is done somehow, not sure if on-board.

Reply to
bh

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii wrote: [...]

Bummer. What causes this requirement? I think the best or only choices, with the wishlist specs, are going to be BGA. That does change the prototype methodology, but things have gone that way.

[...]
Reply to
bh

Still need to mount the bga socket - even more of a pain because the ovens are not set up for this - been there, blown several sockets (not junk assembly shop, PEMstar - the old IBM assembly in Rochester), but once they're on, they're easy. Check emulation technologies (yamaichi - good sockets) and ironwood.

I don't know where to go on this one, most integrated processors that I know are in bga. Maybe you can find one, but then again I want a Ferrari for a buck too - suppose they're out there. BTW - The Etrax chips are bga.

Andrew

Gary Pace wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Try Atmel AT91RM9200 - 180MHz ARM, 10/100 Ethernet, USB host and slave. The dev kit is expensive, but you should be able to get the CD for free from an FAE. There are both BGA and QFP packages.

Stephen

-- Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time

133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web:
- free VFX Forth downloads
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

Rudolf, You may have a problem finding both the functionality and the packaging you want. The reason is that as the functionality increases, the pin count increases. Once the pin count gets to a point (perhaps over 144 pins), ball grid array is the best way to provide dense I/O. I know this doesn't help you directly, but it is worth noting.

Dennis,

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii wrote:

Reply to
Dennis