Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?

Hi Folks,

Is there an easy and low cost PLC unit? Something around $100 or less?

The reason I ask is home use. When you install a PLC to, say, control pool equipment then it has to be nearly as easy to understand as programming a lawn sprinkler unit. Sure, we should all be able to program it but some day a house might be sold and then the new owners may not be so versed in that field. At least they should be able to find someone locally to program it.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You may try:

The 05 units are low cost - but then you have to buy the programming software, etc.

Regards, Richard.

Richard

Joerg schrieb:

Siemens "LOGO" or Moeller "Easy", if they are sufficient (few I/Os only).

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

Hello Tilmann,

Many thanks. These look great. Despite quite some searching I couldn't identify a local sales outlet near Sacramento with prices and all. The Siemens web site wasn't much help either but that doesn't surprise me anymore. So, I sent a request to Siemens.

German companies often have great products but when it comes to sales on a more local level that's another matter. Even our weatherproof Kettler ping pong table took us half a day to find. The purchase of stuff from the teutonic regions doesn't just require money but at times also a lot of persistence.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Richard,

Thanks. The SW for the 05 is just $99 which is reasonable. But you need cables and stuff where I don't understand why they don't provide memory stick programming or some other more practical approach. Dragging a laptop to the location of a PLC seems kind of antiquated.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I had a LOGO unit here the other day,said what a neat unit but I had no use for it. Manuals from the web said sw built into it.tried it out ,said, yeah OK, but had no use for it, tossed it out. Oh well.....someday I gotta clean out both basement,the garage and the shop. j

Reply to
j.b. miller

You will find out that PLC controllers are built for those who don't know how to program or understand electricity.

So what you don't understand is how they ( PLC people ) do buisness.

Sad but true.

PLCs are a way of life, tho its the lowest form.

Joerg wrote:

Reply to
hamilton

Hi Hamilton,

Well, they must at least be able to connect it right and program it via a PC.

That is true. I don't know why it is next to impossible to buy these things a regular hardware stores. There are plenty of applications where you need the ruggedized performance of PLC and the use of a PC isn't possible. It's no big deal to roll your own with a uC but then you have yet another 'island solution' instead of using standard hardware.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg