Looking for Fast Fourier Transform Paper

By Cooley and Tukey, 1965.

Anyone know if it can be downloaded. I searched for about 30 minutes and couldn't find it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thank you very much. Do you know if they also published an IEEE paper that was a little easier to understand? I recall borrowing something like that years ago.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

And I found a good, non-technical overview of why FFT is so important:

And this: The advent of this discovery began at a meeting of the President's Scientific Advisory Committee. Richard L. Garwin, who was in desperate need of a fast means to compute Fourier transforms for his research with helium, noted that Tukey was writing Fourier Transforms and asked him to outline his techniques. Garwin then went to the computing center at IBM Research to have it programmed. Cooley, a relatively new member of the staff , was given the problem because to his own admission "had nothing important to do"[13] and quickly worked it out. Thinking he would hear no more about it, Cooley "went back to doing some real work"[13]. This was obviously not the case since Garwin foresaw a wide range of applications and widely publicized the results. The rest is history--or rather a bit of theory and applications.

John

Reply to
John Atwood