Looking for an embedded platform

Hello everybody,

I work for a small company that deals with automatic vending machines.

I'm investigating the possibility of developing an embedded system to replace the actual controller.

I realized a prototype using a nettop, netBSD and a USB to RS232 adapter. Now I'm looking for some kind of ARM platform, to use instead of the actual x86 machine, with the following requirments:

- Low power and low cost

- A wi-fi transceiver to share connection and offer a web interface for local maintenance

- GSM/GPRS/UMTS connectivity for remote maintenance and logging

- A GPS chip for anti-theft purposes.

- Multiple RS 232 ports

- Eventual support for a graphic-touch interface

- Basically it is a mobile phone without a display

Is there any kind of maufacturer or designer that can realize such a product?

I don't know really much about ARM platforms and embedded development/ design, so any advice is really appreciated.

Thank you very much guys

Reply to
Mascarpone

We dis something similar with an NXP LPC2148 some years ago.

Yes, we can.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

What you need is just an ARM with USB host interface.

Will do.

USB wifi

USB serial GSM/GPRS

USB serial GPS

or multiple USB ports

The above or contradictions. What is graphic-touch without a display?

What you really need is a phone with optional display.

Plenty.

Reply to
linnix

There are a few Linux distros you can use, take a look at OpenWRT, possibly NetBSD since you have some experience with it, but you might have trouble finding drivers.

Take a look at Sparkfun Electronics, they have modules or development boards for all of these. You can get started with the uberboard (DEV-09735).

How many? Are some for debug?

Grayscale or color? What size/resolution? You will need to increase cost just for this, an ARM9 and up should do it. I have used a Microchip PIC24/PIC32 for smaller displays as well...

I can offer my services, or take a look at some ARM processor websites for lists of consultants, third party developers, etc.

Aaron

Aaron Clarke