IrDA with Microchip MCP2150

Hi, Has anyone used Microchip's MCP2150 IrDA protocol chip succesfully? I am using it on a product with a Vishay TFDU4300 IR transceiver and I get some frustrating results. It basically works, but getting a connection is not easy and often takes several attempts. Sometimes I turn it on, enable the IrDA interface and it works first time. Other times the PC software just won't connect. When it does work it takes about 10 to 15s to open the connection. I have double checked the circuit against all the datasheets and app. notes several times and I'm pretty sure it is right. I suspect that Windows XP may be to blame - there are several ways of communicating over IrDA (either using Winsock or a virtual COM port). Don't even mention Windows Vista :( Anyway, I'm interested in hearing about other people's experiences with using IrDA. Thanks.

regards, Charles Oram

Reply to
oram.embedded

The 2150 works pretty much as advertised. Make sure you're using the latest revision (C, I believe).

The 2150 wants IrCOMM. I never had any luck getting IrCOMM working with XP, but it works fine with Windows 98.

--
John W. Temples, III
Reply to

I've been using MCP2150 successfully for a couple of years. It works just fine even with Win XP, but you need a driver.

It works perfectly with the 1.2.1 version of the IrCOMM2k driver. I never got it to work with the 2.0.0-beta3 though.

I had similar problems that the OP has - the cause was SMPS noise. When we fixed our power supply, the problems went away.

hth,

--
Andrzej Ekiert
http://andrzejekiert.ovh.org/index.html.en

I have tried IrCOMM2k without much more success than other techniques, but I may have been using the newer version, so I'll try the 1.2.1 version. Thanks for your comments.

- Charles

Reply to
oram.embedded

I've heard similar comments before, and that was what worried me. So what do you do if your customers only have XP? Or are you fortunate enough to only need to run your PC software in-house or on limited computers? Thanks for your comments.

- Charles

Reply to
oram.embedded

We used the 2150 to talk to Palm devices. XP's lack of IrCOMM support was only a nuisance to us as developers; it wasn't an issue to the customer.

--
John W. Temples, III
Reply to

MCP2150 works perfectly in our system under xp 2000 98 whatever. (effort has to be made as John indicate) though the speed is not desired.

the application note help us to improve the download speed(from pc t instrument) a lot.

(Data Throughput and the MCP215X.pdf)

Yong

Reply to
yong