Introductory material on compact flash memory

I'm looking for web available introductory material on using compact flash and what's required to have a micro controller store data on one. Data will only be written sequentially and only read sequentially at a later time. No file structure needed by application as it would considered as a single file spanning the device.

Couldn't pick out useful sites from 1000's of Google hits.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

didn't Circuit Cellar have an article on this a while back?

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

Do you expect a desktop computer to read the data stored on the CF card ??

Richard Owlett wrote:

Reply to
Donald

No, want to use it as storage medium in black box I'm thinking of.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Embedded Systems Engineering (current issue Vol 3.3 May2005) has a group of articles on the topic. Their web-site is .

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/********************************************************************
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

If you set the CF in IDE mode, then you can access it through 8 registers. Bascially, you store the LBA address in serveral of the registers, and read/write sectors (512 bytes) from the data register. Just look for codes interfacing IDE drives and adapt them to the CF.

You need to know why to look for.

Reply to
linnix

LOL do you realize just how much you presumed ;}

I remember when compactrons and nuvistors were introduced. A 14 inch hard disk held a few MB and high speed was 300 BAUD. Things have changed since I was low level hardware oriented.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Sorry, a typo, I meant what to look for.

Reply to
linnix