Internet Exporer in trouble again

How does that demonstrate the relative 'features' of a browser he does not use and/or in unfamiliar with ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

and I get so many chunks of software that go fetches IE, even if you have FF set as your default browser.

You buy software, go fetch help when needed, and IE magically opens up. :-(

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I don't know about IE being quite "stone age", but as a long-term Firefox and Opera user, it is always a painful experience if I have to use IE for some reason. IE just feels so much slower and more awkward, it's annoying to have all these adverts (compared to Adblock Plus on Firefox), and it's annoying to have to use Google's standard pages (compared to cusomisegoogle on FireFox). And apparently IE *still* has trouble with simple downloads - if the file on the website has changed, but not the URL, IE gets confused when you try to download the new version!

The reason IE is banned at our office is its security problems. The reason no one complains about the ban is that everyone agrees that Firefox and Opera are vastly better.

Reply to
David Brown

You have to make sure the IE settings for the "Internet zone" are set to the highest level. Help browsers shouldn't need ActiveX and all that junk, and normally work fine.

Reply to
David Brown

What other good reasons _not_ to use 'Doze can we think of?

"You knew I was a snake when you took me in." (From a once-popular tune. I don't recall the title.)

Reply to
Michael

es not

n!

You have basically said what I felt about it when I made the"stoneage" comment. Like many Microsoft products, its just more "painful" and clumsy to use, little thought or effort seems to have gone into making it "easy" or "friendly" for the average person.

I haven't used Opera for about 3-4 years, it was good except that there were just too many sites (at the time) that it had problems opening or displaying. Internet banking was also a problem.

When Im in a public location, or at another computer that has only IE, these differences are painfully obvious. My wife still uses it sometimes for unknown reasons though :).

Reply to
kreed

There are plenty of good reasons to use Windows, and plenty of good reasons to use something else - the best choice depends on who you are, what you want to do, and how you want to do it, as well as obvious things like hardware and software support. Windows has its place, as does Linux, MacOS, BSD, and other OS's. Anyone who insists that a particular OS is *always* the right choice, or always the wrong choice, is being fanatical.

On the other hand, saying IE is *never* the right choice is not fanatical - it's simple fact :-)

Reply to
David Brown

Couldn't have put it better myself :-)

Though I only boot a Virtual MSWindows when called to help someone over the phone, MSWindows still has its place for various people due to the application(s) needed that are not available on other platforms.

However I try to get everyone to use Mozilla's Firefox/Seamonkey or Opera as IE is simply dangerous.

Cheers Ian B Manners

Reply to
Blacklisted email address

In message , David Brown writes

Sounds fanatical to me.

Currently using Safari, Opera and IE (on Windows, OSx and Solaris )

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

What's the alternative? Firefox? Firefox got number one position in apps that have security holes.

Reply to
RumpelStiltSkin

You missed the smiley - or forgot one!

Actually, as I said in another post, I banned IE at our office (outside of a half-dozen officially allowed sites that demand ActiveX) many years ago, and I have yet to hear *any* legitimate complaints. Most people's questions about Internet use are along the lines of how they can use the same programs at home as they do at the office (particularly FireFox with a few useful extensions, and Thunderbird), and how they can make MSN safe (by using Pidgin instead of the MSN client).

Reply to
David Brown

Don't tell me you give *any* credit to the recent Bit9 report? This is a report on application security in which any program included in windows updates is automatically excluded (how else would IE and OE not only miss the pole position, but skip the list entirely?), and any program where bugs are publicly acknowledged is automatically worse off than one which keeps the bugs secret.

Have a quick google about the report - opinion on the net is divided into three camps. There are those who think it was paid for by MS, those who think Bit9 are trying a bit of FUD for self-promotion of their services, and those who think Bit9 have simply done a terrible job here. "Never account to malice that which can be attributed to incompetence".

No one claims Firefox's security is perfect, but its holes are rare, seldom serious, rapidly fixed, and generally require specific targeted website exploits that are seldom seen outside the dark side of the 'net. I have never seen, heard of, or even read about a Firefox user suffering worse than a browser hang or crash due to a security flaw. The same applies to Opera. On the other hand, I have seldom seen a home computer with IE in regular use that has *not* suffered serious problems with toolbars, popups, "search assistants" and the like.

Reply to
David Brown

Who uses IE anymore?

Reply to
eeboarder

Only top-posters. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. See the following links:

(taming google) (newusers)

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to