how to water proof a touch display?

Hello

I'm wondering how to water proof a touch display.

If i build something like this (but uglier)

How do I get it waterproof around the display?

If I have a gasket between the touch surface and the front of the box how does this effect the touch sensitive surface? Does it register touch all the time?

Reply to
Erik

Do you want it to be waterproof (usable under water) or weatherproof (usable outdoors in the rain)?

I'm assuming you only need weatherproofing. A full membrane cover over top of the whole display would be the most reliable, but depending on the material you choose it may affect the responsiveness of your touchscreen. The gasket idea might work if your touch surface is weatherproof to begin with and if the gasket is larger than the active area of the touchscreen.

Reply to
Tom

I assume you mean "water resistant"? Are you planning on using it in the rain? Or, *underwater*??

You haven't explained the touch technology that you intend to use. Some won't like the presence of moisture. Some will largely be immune to it.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

It is for use in rain, not under water.

I was looking to use a resistive 4 wire type touch screen.

Reply to
Erik

the

The sensitive area does not extend all the way to the edges of the panel. But in any case, you calibrate out this constant pressure in the setup phase of the tablet.

If you would like some touch panels (not LCDs, just 4-wire resistive tablets) to experiment with, I have a box of them and would happily send you a few (gratis). They are about 6" diagonal.

Reply to
larwe

Erik skrev:

You'd be better off, using a Capactive touch screen. There is a demo on Youtube of such a beast which still operates when you put it under a watertap and start pouring.

Best Regards Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson