How to poll hostname from local name server with wildcard

I am developing a cross-platform application for Windows and Linux. I would like the application to poll all computers/devices connected to a LAN and with host names beginning with a special string, say "SpecialDevice", for example "SpecialDevice_SN1" and "SpecialDevice_SN2". Can I use wildcard to poll the local name servers, similar to the way that the DNS resolver poll the DNS server with wildcards? BTW, what is the command in Linux to poll the local name server?

I would also like the application to check the availability of the local name servers and DHCP server in the local network. What is the best way to do so? Is there any sample available for Linux? What will be the linux command or library that support this type of application.

Thank you!

Reply to
Like2Learn

I think the easiest way is to check the linux box by ifconfig (or windows box by ipconfig) after connection. The DNS server and DHCP server shall be shown there. If there are no DNS server and DHCP server, then these fields shall be blank, right? Any other solution?

Reply to
Like2Learn