Flash experience

My resume mentions experience writing driver code to program flash chips plugged into embedded microcontrollers. Occasionally I receive spam about jobs that revolve around Macromedia Flash web development. They don't bother me. I just think they're kind of amusing.

The other day I was talking to a headhunter who thought it was good I had Windows driver experience. He went on to mention how popular Windows .Net experience is. I know Windows 2003 used to be called Windows .Net, but nowadays .Net means that high-level Java-like framework MS created for C# and VB programming.

Reply to
BubbaGump

Funny. I get the same thing. Recruiters don't know very much except a few key words.

I got slammed about not understand what .Net really means. It would probably be better if you looked up what .Net really means. They said somethingbout how it makes it easier to develop web applications. I develop apps using MFC. I don't really care to develop web apps. You could use any language you want to develop web apps, including VB and C#. There seems to be a lot of job openings for VB and C# developers with SQL.

I do agree that .Net seems to be more focused on VB and C# programmers and seems to be detrimental for anybody who uses the interface to develop applications that are not Net worthy.

Start sticking .NET and Flash on your resume and you will get calls for Web developers. It would be nice if somebody actually knew what you were doing. I would suggest networking with other people in your field. They could probably help you get a better job and faster than the recruiters.

Reply to
Nobody

(I noticed your other question, so this is just a repost.)

You sound exactly like the way I am. I feel your disparigment. It sucks. I have been doing it for about 7 years now.

Headhunters and Recruiters don't really care. They spend about 5 minutes discussing your skills and have no idea who you are. You are just another candidate. Nothing more than a dollar sign.

It is a catch22. How do you get into something you like without coming from that particular field? They want somebody that 'is' already in that field and can move into the same line of work. I suppose you could lie on your resume, just to get an interview, then go over your skills. Use them like they are using you. Make up your own company and how you did such and such. Then, the employers will get upset because you didn't come from that field and you don't even get a chance to explain your skills. It is just a lie on the resume. Been there, done that.

I don't know what to tell you, other than to network. Somehow get your foot in the door doing anything, then move from field to field. Maybe try the bigger companies. They hire more than smaller companies.

P.S. It really sucks waiting around for the job you want. Sooner or later, the depression becomes overwhelming. No matter what you try, nothing seems to work. It becomes a viscous cycle. You are already exhibiting the first symptoms of that. Wait until H1B Visas get better jobs, military experience means nothing, You can't understand what the recruiter is saying, etc, etc.

I suggest just getting your foot in the door doing anything. Then network with the people already doing what you want to do. They can help get you to the position you want to do a lot eaiser and faster than recruiters. Rather than trying the same old path that keeps on failing.

Good Luck,

Reply to
Nobody

You wait until they ask in a few months time for 5-years of experience with Windows Vista.....

Reply to
Aly